The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Table creation and changing settings with hidden table inspector Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
While looking for a solution for real table creation in OmniGraffle Pro 5.2b6 or integration an editable table I discovered the following solutions:
The easiest way until now is, to create a table with Nisus Writer Pro. You can use many attributes of Text and table Styles for transferring the table to OmniGraffle. Now you have to copy the table, not only by selecting the table, but marking by dragging with the mouse over the table, then copying the table (with or without contents) and past the table on your canvas in OmniGraffle.
Now you have a table that easily can be modified. Best of all: in OmniGraffle there is a build-in table inspector available, which isn't mentioned at all yet. To view the table inspector select a cell in the pasted table and ctrl/right-click. Choose table in the menu. Now in the table inspector you have the possibility to add rows and columns, to change alignment, cell borders and cell background. Of course you can change the text attributes with the text inspector as well. Especially when you enable "resize to fit" you will get a really self-adjusting table. And you will see, that those tables already have header and footer rows.
I hadn't tried out, whether Link Back is working too. It might work, because Nisus Wirter Pro and OmniGraffle Pro support Link Back.

The other workaround was my first solution and I write down this solution here for those not having Nisus Writer Pro available and you might use any table or spreadsheet therefore.
Choose any shape from a stencil in OmniGraffle (it works with connection lines too), where you can place text in it. Then type any character and ctrl/right-click. Choose table in the menu. The fields in table inspector are only activated, when there is at least one sign in it. Now you can work as described above.
Another solution is, to copy the cells(!) of another table or spreadsheet and copy these cells in the text field in your shape.
So that's at least a solution for real tables and not only a limited construction with the make table command.

Last edited by Rainer101; 2009-07-04 at 01:50 PM..

I, too, was able to find this hidden table inspector using a Nisus table. I wasn't able to recreate it using Excel or Word.

Looks like the OmniFolks are up to something else, which is good news

--Morgan

That's actually the standard Cocoa RTF table API, which we get for free (as does Nisus). I imagine the Office apps don't have access to it as we do as they're still Carbon applications.

So how can we use this without the cut and paste trick?

Unfortunately, you can't get at the RTF table commands from within OmniGraffle itself -- You could, however store a table of this type in a stencil and grab it whenever needed.

I created a table in Pages (iWork 11), saved as an RTF, opened the RTF in TextEdit, copied and pasted to OmniGraffle 5 and found the hidden table inspector. I couldn't do a straight copy/paste from Pages.

Has the table inspector been removed from the latest version of OG? I find the tables created via the Make Table command extremely limiting and was excited to read this thread but it's not working for me from Nisus Writer Pro (which I downloaded just to try this) or from Pages '08 (via TextEdit) as described above. I cannot find any Table command from the right-click menu.

No, it appears to still be there. You have to have the insertion point in the contents of a cell in the pasted table (I just made one with TextEdit) before you right-click, then Table... will show up at the top of the menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
No, it appears to still be there. You have to have the insertion point in the contents of a cell in the pasted table (I just made one with TextEdit) before you right-click, then Table... will show up at the top of the menu.
OMG thank you so much. I think I was losing something in the copy-paste, now it worked just the way you described it.

Omni Guys - why make it so difficult? Please improve table functionality soon!

Thanks!
--pv

How do you make use of the table stuff in OmniGraffle? I've yet to see (or imagine) a diagram that makes use of it, and am awaiting the opportunity to say "hey, that's really cool!" rather than "um, okay, don't need to remember how this works" :-)