The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iOS5 Background Syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I understand Omni Group plans to leverage the location aspects of iOS5 but I would like to know if you plan to allow for background syncing using iCloud.

For example, if I make a change on my desktop version of Omnifocus, will it push the changes to my iPhone version of Omnifocus without the need for me to open and sync the database?

With the new Notifications feature of iOS5, it can be frustrating to be pushed a notification for an Omnifocus action that is no longer relevant because of a change made on the desktop client.

I've been using the Reminders app in iOS5 with iCloud and Lion, syncing between an iPhone, iPad and MacBook pro. The syncing is fantastic, so powerful that I've considered switching over from Omnifocus. However the Reminders app is limited and doesn't have anywhere near the functionality of Omnifocus, ideally I'd like to continue with Omnifocus.

Can you provide any insight?

Thanks.

Happy to answer both questions - background sync and iCloud support are kind of two separate issues.

Re: iCloud - it's similar to Dropbox. Well suited for document-based apps like OmniGraffle or OmniOutliner, but OmniFocus has different needs. It's going to take some re-engineering of the app to do things the iCloud way.

We may add iCloud support, but since there's a free sync option already available for OmniFocus, it's not our number one priority. We get "please update the Mac app's UI to be more like the iPad's" requests more frequently, for example. :-)

Background sync: my understanding is that third-party applications cannot initiate sync unless they're in front and running. If Reminders is actually syncing in the background (as opposed to using the push notification system or something) it may not be possible for us to do the same thing. Apple's own apps have access to features and code that other developers don't...