The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Download issues... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys

A client of mine has uploaded a document to Rapidshare for me to download so I can work on a leaflet for him, but since a few days ago, when I tried to download it in the first place, it won't allow me to. Rapidshare gives me the message:

'You want to download the following file:
http://filequotedhere...

Your IP address (number quoted here) is already downloading a file. Please wait until the download is completed.

Premium members can download any number of files simultaneously. Become a Premium member now. The download will be available shortly.'

I know this isn't strictly OmniWeb related, but this was since the first time I tried to download it, I used OmniWeb, and when I clicked to download, nothing happened after 15 seconds so I pressed the back button and tried again. I got that message then, though it wasn't downloading and it's been stuck like that ever since.

It's a pretty urgent thing. I've tried flushing the cache, I've tried Firefox, a couple of other browsers, but nothing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I guess Rapidshare is logging the IP address you use and not the browser. So, if you use broadband you can switch off/on your router. And hope that you get another IP address. Then Rapidshare will probably allow you to download the file again.
You may want to try downloading the 2nd time using another browser, just to be sure.

o/
Thomas

Hi Tom

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it didn't work. I had the router off for 25 minutes, restarted my computer, but it's still showing as the same IP address. Is there anything else I can do that you might know of?

Steve.

So is this happening in all browsers? Does quitting and restarting OmniWeb help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve View Post
Hi Tom

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it didn't work. I had the router off for 25 minutes, restarted my computer, but it's still showing as the same IP address. Is there anything else I can do that you might know of?

Steve.
Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Rapidshare. There are few other things to try, though:

Simple solution:
  • Ask your customer to use another free data storage service. An excellent one is Dropbox (www.getdropbox). 2GB of space per user and he can place the files into a public folder and send you the direct link to it.
    Or you can open an Dropbox account and allow the customer to upload the file(s).

There is of course no limit on how many times you can download a file.

Excellent support for Windows, Mac and Linux. Nobody is left out.
A-bit-less-simple:
  • Use a proxy to connect to the internet (just for that, you can disable it afterwards)
    http://www.rapidownload.net/tips/byp...wnload-limits/ shows some ways to 'bend' the limits of rapidshare. One of them is surfing using a proxy server

There are plenty of free proxy servers (see URL, there's another link to a list on that page). A proxy is a thingy in the middle between you and the internet. Everytime you surf the web, the server you're visiting - eg. Rapidshare - sees the IP of the proxy and not yours. That'd be a quick way to get a new IP.

Mmhhh, that's about what I can think of. I prefer the first suggestion (Dropbox) but it depends on the willingness of your customer to do some additional work.

Cheers,
Thomas