The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Question from possible Things switcher Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I didn't actually mean to suggest using projects as areas of responsibility — although I guess you could do that as Bill has suggested. Personally, I like to use folders for areas of responsibility because I think they provide the most flexibility.

My point about smart marching in the project column was that OmniFocus will find a destination project or single-action list based on the shorthand path you type in. So it's actually very easy to file actions into the right container even when the desired container is buried in a deep hierarchy of folders.

-Dennis

Dennis makes a good point, as always. If your areas tend to be full of more complicated tasks, or you need more granularity in your control, a folder full of projects plus a miscellaneous bin for the smaller bits works pretty well. It is easy enough to convert between the two schemes if you decide you didn't make the right choice. Drag projects into another project to convert them to action groups; select action groups (or actions) and outdent them (cmd-[) to convert to projects.

At this point, I'm going to have to set up some folders and projects and play around with them to better understand how they work. Thanks to everyone for your time and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r48 View Post
At this point, I'm going to have to set up some folders and projects and play around with them to better understand how they work.
That's a very good idea, r48, and exactly how I came to finally settle on my system a couple years ago. There are enough variables here that the best way to find what works for you is to simply try them out. Like Bill said, it's fairly easy to make changes as you go along. Good luck!

-Dennis