The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

where does outcome go? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
DA stresses the importance of envisioning the desired outcome for all one's projects.

I have been putting my desired outcome in the notes associated with my projects. While the project names are short, I word the outcome as a complete, past-tense sentence expressing "what 'done' means." For example:

- ucla trip
-- n: I booked travel and lodging for a research trip to Los Angeles.

The notes field works so far for this, but feels a bit weird when I also start adding other notes (e.g. hotel reservation confirmation number). Particularly, there are circumstances where I would like to be able to print my projects list with the outcomes, but not with the other notes.

Reactions to the idea of having a dedicated "outcome" field attached to projects? Or having a view option that shows only the first sentence of the notes field? Or other solutions?

I've been putting outcomes in Notes field as well; but I don't particularly like it. I use them mostly for a statement of how I'll know I've accomplished my more amorphous projects, so I probably use them less than Craig, but I'd still like to be able to see them. For example,

- Increase Enrollment
-- n: ongoing Wed class has 25 students by July 15

Rather than a built-in, dedicated column, I'd like the ability to add columns of text (like an outcome statement) or numbers (like time extimates) or drop down lists (priorities or participants or ??). And I want to be able to see these in my planning or action window and be able to sort by them, not just look at an inspector or open a note for one project or action.

What about just using rich text in the note field to create "headers" for sections? Have Outcome at the top in bold, then a paragraph, then "Notes" in bold and whatever notes you need?

That would distinguish outcome from notes visually, but it wouldn't solve the problem of looking over or printing a project list with outcomes but without notes, which is one of the things I'd really like to be able to do.