The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Changing Account Pwd -- Cannot access my Database Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi I changed my Accounts password. With the same account as before, when I opened Omnifocus, there is a new version available so I downloaded them.

After installation and Omnifocus reopened, I got the following messages twice:

"The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges.

To view or change access privileges, select the item in Finder and choose File > Get Info."

Now Omnifocus would only open blink.

I went to Documents/Omnifocus Backup, and File - Info on the last dated backup. I look at my Sharing and Permissions in the File-Info, it had my name and after authenticated with my password, the access privilege is OK.

When I double clicked the file, Omnifocus again said:

"The document “OmniFocus 2007-12-17 041058” could not be opened.
You do not have appropriate access privileges. "

What should I do?

Thanks.

Cheers,
/Peter

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this is causing! What, if anything, appears in console.app when you attempt to open your database?

Console.app can be found in the utilities subfolder of your applications folder. Launch it, select "Open Console Log" under the File menu, and then press the "Clear" button on the toolbar.

Once you've done that, launch OmniFocus Paste anything that appears in the window into a reply; I'll see if I can determine what's going wrong here.

Hi Brian -- The following is the console messages specific to OmniFocus when I have access priviledge issue:

12/19/07 11:03:24 AM OmniFocus[746] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 11:03:24 AM OmniFocus[746] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15a5bb80 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." {
NSUnderlyingException = Error validating url for store;
}
12/19/07 11:09:06 AM OmniFocus[746] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 11:09:06 AM OmniFocus[746] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15f022e0 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." {
}
12/19/07 11:11:43 AM OmniFocus[746] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 11:11:43 AM OmniFocus[746] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x9fbb00 "The document “OmniFocus 2007-12-17 041058” could not be opened. You do not have appropriate access privileges." {
NSLocalizedDescription = "The document \U201cOmniFocus 2007-12-17 041058\U201d could not be opened. You do not have appropriate access privileges.";
NSLocalizedFailureReason = "You do not have appropriate access privileges.";
NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion = "To view or change access privileges, select the item in Finder and choose File > Get Info.";
NSUnderlyingError = Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15a8f000 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges.";
}
12/19/07 11:17:23 AM OmniFocus[746] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 11:18:00 AM GrowlHelperApp[196] Auto-discovered registration ticket in OmniFocus (located at /Applications/OmniFocus.app)
12/19/07 11:18:00 AM OmniFocus[802] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 11:18:00 AM OmniFocus[802] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15a1d5c0 "The document “OmniFocus 2007-12-18 142703” could not be opened. You do not have appropriate access privileges." {
NSLocalizedDescription = "The document \U201cOmniFocus 2007-12-18 142703\U201d could not be opened. You do not have appropriate access privileges.";
NSLocalizedFailureReason = "You do not have appropriate access privileges.";
NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion = "To view or change access privileges, select the item in Finder and choose File > Get Info.";
NSUnderlyingError = Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15a30b60 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges.";
}
12/19/07 11:18:05 AM OmniFocus[802] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 11:18:05 AM OmniFocus[802] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15aaacb0 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." {
}
12/19/07 1:47:04 PM OmniFocus[802] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 1:48:41 PM GrowlHelperApp[196] Auto-discovered registration ticket in OmniFocus (located at /Applications/OmniFocus.app)
12/19/07 1:48:41 PM OmniFocus[1002] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 1:48:41 PM OmniFocus[1002] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15a5b780 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." {
}
12/19/07 1:48:43 PM OmniFocus[1002] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 1:48:43 PM OmniFocus[1002] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15ad35e0 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." {
}

Hmm... it looks like our on-disk cache file is locked.

If you quit OmniFocus, then open up
<your home folder>/Library/Caches/

and move the com.omnigroup.omnifocus folder to your desktop, are you able to open your database?

I moved the ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.omnifocus to the desktop. But I still get the same error message when Omnifocus was opened. This is the log from the Console:

12/19/07 2:13:44 PM GrowlHelperApp[174] Auto-discovered registration ticket in OmniFocus (located at /Applications/OmniFocus.app)
12/19/07 2:13:45 PM OmniFocus[196] No cache exists at /Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 2:13:45 PM OmniFocus[196] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15b4a430 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." {
}
12/19/07 2:13:50 PM OmniFocus[196] Unable to add persistent store for cache at file://localhost/Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase -- need to rebuild it.
12/19/07 2:13:50 PM OmniFocus[196] Presenting modal error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x15be04f0 "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." {
}

hmmmm... okay, this makes me wonder if the Caches folder itself is inaccessible for some reason. We note that our cache is missing, then get the error when we try to write a new one.

If you select it in the finder and then do a get info, what appears in the "Sharing and Permissions" section?

Interesting...
I went to ~/Library/Caches in the Finder, then did "File - Info", in the "Sharing and Permissions" my name "lamp(Me)" have "Read & Write" Priviledge, and "everyone" have "No Access".

I then went to ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.Omnifocus (after Omnifocus exited, this file is "recreated", and did "File - Info" on this folder, then I realized that "Sharing & Permissions", "you have custom access", with "system" having "Read & write", "(unknown)" having "Read only", and "everyone" "Read only". When I clicked the "+" trying to add myself in the "Sharing & Permissions", Finder crashed. I removed this "~/Library/Cache/com.omnigroup.omnifocus" folder, then ran "Disk Utility - Repair Permissions". Then reran Omnifocus to generate this omnifocus Cache file, when quit and click File-Info-Sharing & Permissions, click "+" to add myself ("lamp") Finder crashed again. It should be noted that when I went to the ~/Library/Cache and File-Info-Sharing & Permissions, click "+" successfully brought up the "Select a new user or group" dialog box.

I'm probably going to have to run this past the dev team, but before I do, I wanted to clarify two things:

1) I assume the 'you don't have access to the file' errors are still coming up?

2) Can you open a window in Terminal app, paste the following 3 commands in the window (hitting enter after each) and then send me the output?

cd ~/Library/Caches
ls -l Caches/com.omnigroup.omnifocus/
ls -ln Caches/com.omnigroup.omnifocus/

Thanks!

Hi Brian -- Yes the error message "The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." still keep poping up (endless loop).

I use Leopard Cache cleaner to clean all the Caches files, including cleaning every single ~/Library/Caches files. So this output of omnifocus is very recent:

Spring:~ lamp$ cd ~/Library/Caches
Spring:Caches lamp$ ls -l com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/
total 0
-rw------- 1 root lamp 0 Dec 19 18:17 OmniFocusDatabase
Spring:Caches lamp$ ls -ln com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/
total 0
-rw------- 1 0 501 0 Dec 19 18:17 OmniFocusDatabase

Cheers,
Peter

Okay, it looks like your database is owned by the root account, and not by your user account. I wouldn't expect that to happen just from changing the account password, but that explains why OmniFocus can't write to the file.

Quit OmniFocus, open up a terminal window and try the following:

cd ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.omnifocus
sudo chown -Rv <your user name> *

then fire up OmniFocus. If the error still happens, let us know the output it produces, as well as the results of the 'ls' commands I sent before. I'll find someone with better terminal-fu than I possess. ;-)