The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problem: OmniFocus has file permissions issue Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Still behaving the same.

Here is the Terminal output:

David-Computer:~ david$ ps axuww -U root | grep OmniFocus
david 1364 0.0 0.0 599820 460 s000 S+ 10:48PM 0:00.00 grep OmniFocus
David-Computer:~ david$ sudo rm -i -r ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus
Password:
examine files in directory /Users/david/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus? y
remove /Users/david/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/Cache.db? y
remove /Users/david/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase? y
remove /Users/david/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus? y
David-Computer:~ david$
David-Computer:~ david$ find ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus -ls
8445252 0 drwxr-xr-x 3 root david 102 Dec 22 22:50 /Users/david/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus
8445276 0 -rw------- 1 root david 0 Dec 22 22:50 /Users/david/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase
David-Computer:~ david$

It looks like there is no Cache.db after the file removal and the re-start of OmniFocus.

David

I also follow Ken's instruction (checking if there is another instance of Omnifocus running grabing root access), my output is very similiar to dnaunton.

Spring:~ lamp$ ps axuww -U root | grep OmniFocus
lamp 401 0.4 0.0 599740 372 s000 S+ 9:06PM 0:00.00 grep OmniFocus
Spring:~ lamp$ find ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/ -ls12590685 0 drwxr-xr-x 3 lamp lamp 102 Dec 22 20:59 /Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/
12590728 0 -rw------- 1 lamp lamp 0 Dec 22 20:59 /Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus//OmniFocusDatabase
Spring:~ lamp$ sudo rm -i -r ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus
Password:
examine files in directory /Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus? y
remove /Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase? y
remove /Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus? y

==> Restart OmniFocus, similiar error...
Spring:~ lamp$ find ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/ -ls
12590774 0 drwxr-xr-x 3 root lamp 102 Dec 22 21:08 /Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/
12590787 0 -rw------- 1 root lamp 0 Dec 22 21:08 /Users/lamp/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus//OmniFocusDatabase

Some additional information that might, or might not help us solve this problem, riddle or issue.

If I try to use the Finder to change the Permissions on the contents of ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus or the com.omnigroup.OmniFocus folder, the Finder crashes and then restarts. After the restart the Permissions have NOT changed and my permission has not been added to this folder or its contents.

David

I also had the same issue of what you described in Finder crashed when attempting to change the permissions.

Sadly, I really missed OF and have decided to reinstall the Leopard using Archive and Reinstall -- part of my ritual of end-of-the-year cleaning the house (and planning, which requires working OF), this year literally including my computer as well.

The first time it runs OF after the reinstall, OF will complain: "Unable to save document.

Unable to remove pre-existing cache when trying to create new one."

After removing the ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus folder though, OF finally runs fine.

I would almost bet my last dollar this is an issue with the recent security update from Apple. There is a thread on Apple's discussion forum about this very issue. And after trying to get OF's latest build to function, I find it only works on my restored MacBook that I've yet to update to the latest patches from Apple.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....43620&#6143620

I spent my last dollar over Christmas, but I was also thinking the security update may indeed be a big part of this.

I updated to Security Update 2007-009 just prior to this OF failure. I sent this info to OmniFocus Feedback yesterday.

David

I concur with you "Jeffge", I had this issue after the Security Update 2007-009 also. Unfortunately I also spent all my last dollar ("way too much time") on this issue before Christmas. That's why I did the drastic thing. One thing I did before Achieve and Reinstall was Using the Leopard Boot CD -- Utility -- Reset Password -- "reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs". I think this is similar to the Apple discussion suggestion you refer to of using "chmod -RN". But no luck.

I tried everything myself. I learned a little about permissions in general (knew nothing about them before this episode) so it was not a total loss. I can also confirm the Time Machine will indeed bring you back to where you were before your current problems started.

Hopefully, Apple will fix this soon. With all the problems I had trying to get my MacBook to work, it felt like I was working in an operating system that shall not be named.

To OF, you might want to expand your gaze outward on this issue (probably already have knowing have good you folks are at what you do).

I will now (heavy sigh) try Archive and Restore. This makes the most sense at this point. And with all the other issues that seem to be occurring that are related to this, a necessity.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would like to rate all the help from everyone here and the wonderful folks at OmniGroup an 11!

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by masemase View Post
... as I have been having other permissions-related problems since using the new version of iDefrag (be careful!).
Since OS X takes care of fragmentation issues, I can't help but wonder why anyone would defragment an OS X disk. I do a lot of digital recording with ProTools, and have never had any need to defrag. Sounds like borrowed trouble... :)

But I could be wrong, of course...