The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Automatically create a waiting for task? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can this be put in the user folder or does it have to be in the main computer file? I can't get it to work in my local library.

Thanks,
Steve

I use it in my ~/Library/...

Curt

~ is root, right?

I'm not authorized to authenticate my computer in ~/Library/...

Off hand, do you think the script could be modified to work in the local library?

Last edited by steve; 2008-10-30 at 08:09 PM..

Actually, maybe it doesn't work because I can't install growl without the administrator password of my machine. grrrr.

update. . . it works when I deleted all references to growl in the applescript. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
~ is root, right?

I'm not authorized to authenticate my computer in ~/Library/...

Off hand, do you think the script could be modified to work in the local library?
You've already fixed the problem, but for future reference, ~/ refers to your home directory, ~user/ refers to user's home directory.

whpalmer-- thanks for the clarification.

Curt, thanks for the amazing script.

If anyone is inclined, one thing that might make it better is to add "if Reply on:" exists then don't add it to the row. One of these days I need to learn applescript.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Actually, maybe it doesn't work because I can't install growl without the administrator password of my machine. grrrr.

update. . . it works when I deleted all references to growl in the applescript. Thanks!
Yeah, I have an item on my list to make my scripts check for the presence of Growl and work without it. That's a fairly significant amount of work relative to ease of installing Growl, or so I thought. I hadn't consider folks without admin privileges.

I'll work on the scripts the next time I need to productively procrastinate.

Curt

the script doesn't work for me.
I get this error message : "Le script «*Complete and Await Reply*» n’a pas pu s’achever. AppleScript a rapporté l’erreur suivante*:
Erreur dans OmniFocus*: Attempted to move data objects to a nil container."
I'm using Omnifocus 1.0.3
I've installed Growl
mac os x 10.5.5
and obviously from my System + OF are in French. Maybe this is the problem?
let me know when you feel like doing some productive procrastination.

best.

Curt thanks for the script.

The way I had been handling all of this is just to add "WF - persons name" to the beginning of the task, and changing the context to Waiting For. If I am in context view I just drag and drop it to the menu on the left. If I'm in project view I just click on the context from the drop down menu in the task. It is a fast process.

In addition, I use textpander. I have created a short cut for the letters "msg" that automatically types out "Left message (and the date and time)". The date and time are set up with strings within the program so you customize it to your liking. I also have a snippet for the letters "eml" that automatically types out "Emailed (and the date and time)" This is awesome for follow up. For instance, it allows you to very quickly run through your @calls list and update your tasks with precise information. Some of these tasks have several "msg" snippets in them which allows me to instantly see the history of that task. I can then call again and say "Hey there, I left you a message about this topic on the following dates and still have not heard from you" works wonders for pushing projects forward, and keeps a nice record for reporting to the boss on one's progress.

Turning a task into a "waiting for" is almost as satisfying as checking it off.

I'd doubt the French localization is the problem. I suspect the problem is either that you're running OF 1.0.3--I'm on 1.5--or, more likely, that you don't have a context with the string "wait" in its name. In the latter case, you can edit the script to include the proper name for your Waiting For context.

Curt