The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you use you Flags? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find that I'm using my flags as a way to pull out tasks that are either more urgent or are what I'm going to work on today. This has worked for me so far, but it gets unweildly, as I find myself reviewing my entire project list everyday in order to make sure the flags are current to priorities.

How do you all use your flags? What other ways do you use your flags?

I use flags to mark the projects that are related to my monthly goals. This means that I don't have to change the flags often, just set them in my monthly review. During the day, I first work from an "urgent" perspective, that shows my tasks that are due soon. After knocking off those tasks, if any time remains, I switch to an "important" perspective, that shows my flagged available actions.

I've found that breaking out of my old habit of planning the day's actions to be both time saving and stress reducing. Time saving because I'm not doing the planning. Stress reducing because I don't have the guilt of not accomplishing everything on my plan when life interrupts.

Curt

I use them to mark my "hard landscape items", so I can quickly see what's coming up that I can't cancel even if I wanted to.

Funny, I don't use flags at all.

If I need something on a hard landscape, I give it a due date.

Now, in Mail.app, I flag things as I get to Inbox Zero and go back to a smart folder of "Flagged" and give them more attention (respond, record, task, etc) but when things get to OF they have been broken down beyond flags.

BZ

I use flags in OF to denominate projects (never tasks) that are most dear to me. Projects I simply CAN’T afford to forget about, projects I am passionate about but still might need a kick in the bum from time to time to keep going.

I decide on flags during my weekly review. Never, ever, do I give a project the flag after I’ve just entered it. I need time to see whether it’s really one of those really, really important projects or just one where my histrionics play tricks on me.

So, yeah, you could call it priorisation. Which I’m told I’m not supposed to do in a GTD environment, but somehow, it just feels natural.

Cheers,
-Sascha

Since my task list is always full of varying stuff, I tend to use them for an 'Ultra-High' priority.

I know it isn't canonical GTD, but I need to know those things that have just got to get done ASAP.

For any of you true GTD gurus out there, let me know if this is the 'wrong' way to use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_Doc View Post
...let me know if this is the 'wrong' way to use it!
I don't think there is a "wrong" way to use it; just different ways.

-Dennis

I think I'm falling into old, bad, (anti-GTD) habits, of trying to keep aware of a bunch of stuff I feel I should really be paying attention to now, but don't have time to get done 'today'. Part of what I've done is to schedule due dates for things, but then find myself constantly moving those forward a day (I've requested an auto-forward feature option, like DateBk6 on the Palm). I've been using flags in addition to 'Due soon' stuff to give extra highlight.

Curt's idea sounds good. I need to deal with my expectations of way more stuff than I can do in day somehow. But let's say I'm doing a good weekly review, I still need to know stuff that I could/should be doing.

Bob

I've used flags for various things at various times, but in the end have abandoned them all; it's just easier.

Bob,

I do daily reviews also. A quick evening review where I empty my inboxes at home and look at tomorrow's ticklers, and a morning review where I look at the day's hard landscape and empty my work inbox. So, I'm still contemplating my plan of attack for the day, I'm just not trying to lay it out in explicit detail.

Curt