The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting in Context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For the issue to be fixed, it would first have to be broken. It isn't broken, it just isn't the way you want it. It matches the default settings in the Contexts perspective on the Mac. If you want a Contexts view on the iPad that behaves like the iPhone, take the Mac Contexts perspective, change the view bar to sort by due, save as a new perspective, and sync. Use that perspective instead of the built-in Contexts perspective on the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
For the issue to be fixed, it would first have to be broken. It isn't broken, it just isn't the way you want it. It matches the default settings in the Contexts perspective on the Mac. If you want a Contexts view on the iPad that behaves like the iPhone, take the Mac Contexts perspective, change the view bar to sort by due, save as a new perspective, and sync. Use that perspective instead of the built-in Contexts perspective on the iPad.
OK Thanks. This is a workaround. I already mentioned in my previous post that I don't want to create a perspective for every context (I have 10+ contexts). To use your approach means I have to create 10+ New Perspective: one each on Email, on Phone, etc. to sort by Due date in Context View. I would much prefer a toggle to allow Sort by Date, or be consistent with the iPhone behavior.

Now what I am really missing in Omnifocus is a possibility to "Filter by Context" while you are inside a project.

Let's say for example that I am using my Omnifocus on iPad. I am going thru various different projects and folders (in project-view) and I look at my Finance single action list. I have there 50+ different tasks inside. Suddenly I need to
see my bills ONLY inside this single action list. There is no way for me to quickly now filter by context and select @bill.

To achieve this, I have to first go away from project view to context view. Then find context @bill and then I get a list from ALL projects with a context @bill and I can go down until I find project finance, and finally get the data I am looking for.

..Not very user friendly behaviour in terms of user interface. It would be handy for example that as you are in the project view that you could use the eye-button (that changes the availability) to also define a context you want to filter with.

So I really hope that Omnigroup will add 'filter by context' possibility into the future releases of Omnifocus.

Last edited by devastat; 2011-05-02 at 03:05 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp View Post
OK Thanks. This is a workaround. I already mentioned in my previous post that I don't want to create a perspective for every context (I have 10+ contexts). To use your approach means I have to create 10+ New Perspective: one each on Email, on Phone, etc. to sort by Due date in Context View.
Tap and hold the triangle at the upper right of any context and select Collapse All. Now scroll through your 10+ contexts (which will all probably fit on the screen in portrait mode once collapsed) and pick your context. Tap its triangle to expand it, and work. No need for more than one perspective.

Or, you could just wait for Omni to deliver your requested change. Think of it as a patience-building exercise :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
Let's say for example that I am using my Omnifocus on iPad. I am going thru various different projects and folders (in project-view) and I look at my Finance single action list. I have there 50+ different tasks inside. Suddenly I need to
see my bills ONLY inside this single action list. There is no way for me to quickly now filter by context and select @bill.

To achieve this, I have to first go away from project view to context view. Then find context @bill and then I get a list from ALL projects with a context @bill and I can go down until I find project finance, and finally get the data I am looking for.
It seems like you are using a context as a sort of a tag here, no? On the Mac, I would put a unique value (BillToPay:, perhaps) in the notes field instead of in the context field, and then could search on that in a view to strip out everything else. Unfortunately, the iPad search doesn't yet search the notes field, so you can't do that, but you could use the same idea as part of the action name, and then narrow your field of view using the search. It's not a general solution, but it looks like it might handle your example well enough.

Quote:
It seems like you are using a context as a sort of a tag here, no? On the Mac, I would put a unique value (BillToPay:, perhaps) in the notes field instead of in the context field, and then could search on that in a view to strip out everything else. Unfortunately, the iPad search doesn't yet search the notes field, so you can't do that, but you could use the same idea as part of the action name, and then narrow your field of view using the search. It's not a general solution, but it looks like it might handle your example well enough.
I guess it depends on what you define as a context in your methodology. You could say that I do use context also as a sort of a tag, but the same applies would I use any context in my example above, let's say @email or @mac for example.

I wasn't really referring into tagging in my example, I was purely talking about how to see tasks inside a Project (in project-view) filtered by a chosen context. Hopefully this will be added in the future releases of Omnifocus.

Last edited by devastat; 2011-05-03 at 02:07 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
I guess it depends on what you define as a context in your methodology. I guess you could say that I do use context also as a sort of a tag, but the same applies would I use any context in my example above, let's say @email or @mac for example.

I wasn't really referring into Notes section in my example, I was purely talking about how to see tasks inside a Project (in project-view) filtered by a chosen context. Hopefully this will be added in the future releases of Omnifocus.
You missed my point, I think. If the iPad supported searching the notes field, I would stick the "tag" in there so I didn't have to look at it but could still use it for filtering. As it doesn't, I suggested putting it in the action name. What I proposed would give you list of bills, though come to think of it, with the structure you're using, I'd just drill down to the bills context — looking at your financial single action list, tap on an item with the bills context and tap the Go to Context arrow in the Info section of the editor.

Why do you want to look at a context-oriented view in project mode?

Quote:
Why do you want to look at a context-oriented view in project mode?
Because - as in the given example, I want to see tasks with a chosen context from a project (or folder) that I choose. I don't need to see tasks (with a chosen context) from all projects.

Also in the example above, I would want to stay in the project-view as I find it clumsy that you need to switch to an entirely different data-structure (aka context-view) in such case. Therefore I am suggesting context filtering in project-view. Context-view will be handy when I want to look at the big picture, all my projects. But all this going back and forth context- and project-view in iPad is quite frustrating.

Last edited by devastat; 2011-05-03 at 10:46 PM..

I agree. To Be able to choose contexts, within a specific Project, would be a Milestone in Workability.

Reading this thread has resonated a bit with some things I've been thinking about recently. In some ways I think that OF is demonstrating that a tablet (at least) an iPad is a qualitatively different and in some ways better tool than is a personal computer

I can't justify a $1000 plus expense to be able to create perspectives for my iPad OF. I would have to buy a Mac and software for it. My employer only provides a win machine

From what I've read it sounds like many people who have OF on both Mac and iPad find the iPad implementation, particularly reviewing to be superior to OF on Mac.

It strikes me that Omnigroup has an opportunity and a challenge here. The opportunity is to create a product that causes people to prefer and select an iPad over other tools, including those in the corporate world who are forced to standardize on a win machine as their primary computer.

The challenge is that there are design decisions that will differ between the 3
platforms that OF runs on. Some of those decisions have already been made. I've looked at a number of how-to articles which describe how to do something on OF Mac and thought, as a user of only the iPad version, how different a number of activities are between the Mac and iPad versions.

So I am hoping that Omnigroup is watching and thinking how to adapt the program for the way those of us who won't ever buy the Mac version need the program to work