The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-web plugins showing up in plugin list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm assuming this is a bug; it's certainly odd.

When I open the OmniWeb Plugin preference, it lists pretty much every plugin on the computer (including plugins that aren't web plugins) as loaded. Apparently OmniWeb is loading Saft (Safari-only), Inquisitor (Safari-only), Chax (iChat), CTM Assistant (chat logs--link), among other, normal web plugins.

I've disable everything that wasn't a web plugin, but figured I should point this out (have also emailed to support).

This is not a bug but a (extremely flawed, IMO) characteristic of the Input Manager system in OS X which is abused by developers of non-input manager software to hack applications. Anything that is installed as an input manager is loaded into every single application opened, no matter if it is relevant to that application or not, with obvious downsides to the stability of certain applications which can conflict with said input manager hacks. If anything, the ability to turn them off in OmniWeb (if it even works) is potentially a huge bonus.

In the case of the hacks you listed, they utilise SIMBL to do their dirty work.

Last edited by JKT; 2007-01-29 at 01:30 PM..

Very annoying. I believe I only have one SIMBL plugin currently loaded on the system (mega zoom; easy way to get fullscreen windows in any Cocoa app); the others appear to be InputManagers. I can't believe that they get loaded into every application regardless of whether they're intended for it; what a dumb programming choice on Apple's part.

Interestingly, even if I uncheck SIMBL and Mega Zoom, they still both load up (even though OmniWeb's preference claims they aren't loaded). Looks like SIMBL is a bit more foreful in its code insertion than InputManagers.

It is a bit due to the fact that developers may sometime need to "hack" the Application to add certain features.

For example SIMBL is needed so we can enjoy 1Passwd, the password manager in Omniweb, e.g. it is supported.

I think one should question why they need to "hack" the Application rather than blaming them for all problems on system. I tell you the reason as an end user: Apple doesn't provide the API's allowing such functionality in "legit" ways.

Also for the record, SIMBL is open-source and free (donationware)
http://culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php

Developer of it makes it clear that it shouldn't be needed:
It seems like this functionality would have been built into Mac OS X already, so I may be duplicating some native functionality - I hope not, as that would be a waste of time.

So, perhaps Apple is acting a bit "secret" on the API so people has to "hack" the system to maintain some needed functionality.

One should disable the "Input Manager" by dragging it to Desktop and test the application crash state. If it does crash, it is not Input Manager's fault. If it doesn't? People like me reports to the Input Manager/Haxie developer before trashing it and wait for new version.