The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tasks not appearing in Context view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hallo, all.

So, I set up a project for some important financial chores. Essentially, each month it steps me through downloading statements when I have access to the Internet (context "Online"), reconciling them when I'm at my computer (context "Computer"), checking where bills are and pay them (context "At Home"), and so on.

The contexts are clearly set.

Then I go to my "Tactical" perspective:
Context Mode
Grouped by Project
Sorted by Due
Availability Next Action
Status Filter Any
Estimated Time Filter Any Duration

I select the "Online", "Computer" and "At Home" contexts ...and items from that project simply don't appear. Neither does the project, as a group. Every other project seems to.

Help?

-Speireag.

What happens if you just make a plain context mode view, no grouping, no sorting, just showing next actions of all of your contexts. Do any actions from the financial chores project appear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-11 at 10.02.48 AM.png
Views:	425
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2320  

Do these tasks (or the project) have start dates? If the start date hasn't arrived, they won't appear in a Next Action view.

Aha. PEBCAC problem. Thanks, whpalmer4, for encouraging a bit more investigation. Turns out that because the availability filter was "Next Action", and there was one action at the top which needed to be done in an unusual context, and I had not chosen that context, everything else was being blocked. I'll tweak the Perspective.

Thanks again,

-Speireag.

Start with something that works, change just one thing at a time until it doesn't — a troubleshooting approach which has served me very well :-)

Probably it was useful in this case to encounter the problem and have it brought to your attention that there was a task with an unusual context in the sequence, but it might be advantageous to have a parallel project or single action list full of action groups for each "thread" in your financial chores project. I'm assuming you have a bunch of accounts for which you need to do the download statement / reconcile statement / pay bill combination. There's no reason not to do the other 7 accounts just because there's a temporary hitch with one of them, is there? Of course, maybe that task is a gatekeeper for everything else, and you've already got such a structure behind it...