The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Default "Projects" folder? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm with Amber. When the Projects folder appeared I was bummed and sort of thought "ach - they'll get rid of it". But it's still there........

Omni is usually quite good at UI so I'm sort of surprised by this. It feels just weird having a folder for effectively nothing since you can't make more at the same level.

Bring back the divider line Omni!

The Projects superfolder will make more sense if Omni adds a way to view unassigned tasks in the Project view (as has been discussed and requested in other threads). Perhaps that's a feature to come that helps explain why the setup is as it is.

Previously, the only way to clear your selection in the sidebar (thus showing everything in the right pane) was to click directly on the divider line or below your list of projects. If you had a long list of projects, the only option was to click on the divider line. We added the project folder so that users would have a way to clear their selection in the sidebar. The design of the sidebar is not final and may change, but now at least you know our thought process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Previously, the only way to clear your selection in the sidebar (thus showing everything in the right pane) was to click directly on the divider line or below your list of projects. If you had a long list of projects, the only option was to click on the divider line. We added the project folder so that users would have a way to clear their selection in the sidebar. The design of the sidebar is not final and may change, but now at least you know our thought process.
I think the standard "select all" (command-A) and "de-select all" (command-d) work nicely. Suggestion: What if you clicked on the selection you already made to drop the selection. That seems pretty standard UI in adobe apps and works well there.

(Elsewhere on the forum today someone suggested that the inbox should not be included in project view- but should be it's own view 3rd view, a sibling of "projects" and "contexts". I agree. And if that was implemented and the "inbox" went away, the "projects" folder would seem an even bigger waste of screen real-estate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Thank you. May I suggest doing a similar thing for context view? I know you can de-select (showing everything) by clicking the yellow background _below_ the list or select all (also showing everything) by typing cmd+a. But this is neither intuitive nor consistent with projects view.

Let me second the idea of having separate top-level folders for "someday-maybes" and "references" as well as "singletons" in project view.

Klaus

Quote:
I suggested in another thread that a third top-level entity be created to hold actions with no project assigned. The idea is that in project view, actions come in three flavors: those not yet processed (Inbox), those processed and assigned to projects (Projects folder), and those processed, but not assigned to a project (the new folder).
For me, would make everything flow better. I need to be able to brain dump and hold things for an indeterminate amount of time before I assign them to a project.

Last edited by Lizard; 2007-06-18 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: switched from code to quote for more readability

I like the Projects folder ... I was running into the "no place to click" problem.

I also like the idea of having other top-level folders for the long views, the Someday-Maybe projects, templates ...

--Liz