The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2.0 Progress Report Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be really great to get a bit of an update on the progress of OmniFocus 2.0. I for one have been holding on waiting for a real teams based approach, in the hopes that Omni is going to once again lead the pack and that the personal OmniFocus I love to use if going to be able to help my entire organization.

Of course these things take time, but given the lack of information, I find it increasingly difficult to justify waiting. I'm Happy to wait, if I know that the right thing is coming, but without that it gets a lot harder.

I hope Team Omni can take this request in the right way. The products are great, but a bit more information on the road map would go a long way to keeping us waiting happily.

Best,

Peter

You can read what Omni's CEO had to say about the matter about two months ago here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...0&postcount=15

There's been a fair amount of work done behind the scenes over the last year or two to allow linking up OmniPlan and OmniFocus. Build a project plan in OmniPlan, farm out individual tasks to the OmniFocus databases of the people working on the project, have the plan update as they tick off their tasks in OmniFocus. You won't have any more luck getting a detailed progress report or schedule on that work until they are getting ready to beta test, I'm sure. They seem to be pretty busy trying to knock off the projects they've already put some rough dates to! See the iPad or Bust! posts on the blog...and note that despite undoubtedly well-intentioned efforts, few of the predicted dates turned out to be accurate. My experience is that using the software released when the developer thinks it is ready is usually a more pleasant experience than using the software released when the calendar reads a date committed to long before the work was finished!

My impression was that it would be later into 2012. On Twitter, Ken Case recently mentioned a big UX redesign (which I completely welcome!) that was definitely more than a couple months away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
My impression was that it would be later into 2012. On Twitter, Ken Case recently mentioned a big UX redesign (which I completely welcome!) that was definitely more than a couple months away.
Is it later in 2012 yet? ;)

2013 is now the current target from what I've heard.

Agreed, would love to get a status update on this.

Just wondering or move to a more advanced application?

"A more advanced application"?

If we're talking about implementing GTD on a mac-based software solution, I'd love to know what would be a "more advanced application". There are things I'd love to see improve about OmniFocus, but I've demoed them all. Clear, Things, Remember the Milk, and a bunch more I don't remember anymore. All have their strong points but none of them can match the functionality and flexibility and power of OmniFocus. Not even close. And most require moving to a very compromised version of GTD processing, while OmniFocus permits a relatively pure GTD implementation.

I will say that I'm disappointed in the lack of communication from OmniGroup on this. They're usually a good communicating group, treating their customer base with respect. The silence on this sucks, frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
"A more advanced application"?

I will say that I'm disappointed in the lack of communication from OmniGroup on this. They're usually a good communicating group, treating their customer base with respect. The silence on this sucks, frankly.
I agree and confess that I'm not an GTD David Allen disciple. I also know, there are a lot of good features in OF which others not have, but others have good features that I would like to see.

The question is: are they still developing OF or are we on a dead horse? An app with no upgrades for more than a year is usually in danger of being dead. Error corrections are no upgrades, to be more precise.

I would not worry that OF is an abandoned app. My guess is they've had a lot on their plate with porting some of their apps to the iPad platform. Basically, they have 3 platforms now to develop and maintain for many of their apps (desktop, iPhone and ipad) and that assuredly creates resource issues.

I'm sure we'll get 2.0. Just a matter of when.