The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Extreme Caution: 1.8.2 Upgrade problem - Data unreadable Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just ran the upgrade to OF 1.8.2

The result has been long series of warning dialogs:

"Warning encountered while loading XML"

and the "Opening OmniFocus Document" wheel never terminates.

Have tried closing and reopening OF 1.8.2 a few times, but still can't load any data ...

Probably worth exercising some caution with this upgrade.

(Restore from backup also fails)

No problem here. 1.8.2 installed, Omnifocus restarted and the data is fine.

Just tried closing OF and restarting it to be sure and it seems fine again.

Restore from backup turns out to work if I go back to Nov 16th.

All backups after 16th, if opened by double-clicking in the Finder, provoke an error of the form:

The document “OmniFocus 2010-11-20 012215.ofocus-backup” could not be opened. xmlParseCharRef: invalid xmlChar value 55552

Nov 25 13:39:19 Macintosh-8 OmniFocus[1025]: Presenting modal error: {\n code = 9;\n domain = "com.omnigroup.framework.OmniFoundation.ErrorDomai n";\n userInfo = {\n NSLocalizedDescription = "Warning encountered while loading XML.";\n NSLocalizedFailureReason = "xmlParseCharRef: invalid xmlChar value 55552\n";\n "libxml_code" = 9;\n "libxml_domain" = 1;\n "libxml_int1" = 55552;\n "libxml_int2" = 684;\n };\n}

A relief to to get to some data, but a little worrying to know that OF has been writing out unreadable backups for several days ...

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-11-25 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Turns out to be the 16th Nov, not the 19th :-(

update went ok for me without any issues.

Even after reverting to a backup from 9 days ago, everything works for a while, and then the XML error messages begin again and connection to data is lost - possibly the (newly ?) unparseable character in the old data is getting picked up again by synchronisation with the Mobile Me server ?

(Switching of synchronisation does seem to prevent the regression)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-11-25 at 02:29 PM..

Sorry for the trouble here, Rob. I suspect what's going on here is that there's a corrupt transaction file in the server DB. That's why the error messages come back after a sync.

When an updated version of OmniFocus is launched, it invalidates the cache and builds a new one from your transaction files. 1.8.2 uncovered the bad transaction during the rebuild, in other words, but it didn't do anything new to your data. This happened to be the first rebuild since the transaction file went bad.

That bad transaction file is preventing OmniFocus from completing the rebuild, but that's all the error message means - that the rebuild can't finish. Repairing the database needs to be done manually, but I'm getting you some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Repairing the database needs to be done manually, but I'm getting you some help.
It's heroic of you all to respond at Thanksgiving - thank you - I really appreciate that.

The unparseable transaction turned to contain non-textual data which had been pasted into a note field during a scripting experiment. Having removed this my data is now loading without a problem.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-11-26 at 09:12 AM..