The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus iPhone App - Pricing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It will be interesting to see if there is a market for OmniFocus iPhone as a standalone application, for users who don't want to use the desktop application (PC users).

I am sure OmniGroup hopes so.

BZ

It seems AT&T is switching the iPhone's service plan over to their standard arrangement for smart phones (no more special treatment). It's now pretty much inline with other phones on the market:

http://gizmodo.com/5015540/iphone-3g...price-compared

Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is here. Yeah, it seems AT&T is subsidizing the initial cost of the handset and making the money back in service fees. But then, their 3G network didn't build itself for free either, so they're entitled to charge for it. That's nothing new. I mean, do you want 3G or not?

As for the front end price being less and having to pay more over the next two years: that's fine by me. I'd much rather hang on to my money as long as possible. This plan still seems better than the old one; the extra $160 over two years is worth it for 3G and GPS.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I'f I were picking the price for OF iPhone at this stage it would be somewhere around the $10 mark at launch, and depending on the size and speed of the AppStore uptake, I'd drop that eventually to something like $5.
Don't forget: Apple takes 30% of whatever price we set. So a five dollar app is really a $3.50 app for us. And it's not pure profit - more customers means more support ninjas. A volume strategy only works when the transactions are profitable. :-)

And let's not forget that Omnifolk are as entitled as anyone else to a decent wage. Innovative software combining robust code with an intuitive user interface, plus stellar support - it's a no-brainer. You get what you pay for, and with Omni you're guaranteed that's VFM :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
It seems AT&T is switching the iPhone's service plan over to their standard arrangement for smart phones. Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is here. I mean, do you want 3G or not?
-Dennis
I suppose "the fuss" for me is that the original iPhone data plan was the first time that I thought data was worth it and that was because it was cheaper than other phone. It's weird, I'm not sure if I want 3G or not.

I have this nagging feeling that for all the times I'm going to be getting pumped that I'm getting data faster than the 2G iPhone, there will be equal amount of times I'll be annoyed that I'm paying more money for the same 2G EDGE service in locations where 3G isn't deployed. Who knows.

Having said that, I'm one of the clowns that stood in line to buy the iPhone 2G on launch day. So, for some reason, I thought $600 + $480 ($1080) was "totally worth it". Now I'm questioning $200 (or $300) + $720 = $920 (or $1020). What? Doesn't quite add up does it?

I wonder what has changed in my mind? I think it's that so much power is being opened up with the iPhone 2.0 software that I'm just less motivated to buy new hardware as an early adopter. I'll just wait and read the reviews on the new hardware and go from there.

Now, back to the thread... sorry 'bout the detour on iPhone pricing... if Omni sells OF iPhone for the "no brainer" $20 range, that'll be really cool in my book. If I do buy a 3G iPhone and the app is $20, I'll buy a copy for myself _and_ I'll buy a copy for my wife's 2G iPhone (my old iPhone). She doesn't need the desktop version at all, but I'm sure she'd like a mobile version.

Anyone want to start a thread on the phenomenon of the spouse getting the hand me down 2G iPhone? Sounds like a trend to me.

I too stood inline for the $600 iPhone and a year later know it was completely worth it. I love that device more than any other I own and 3G, 16Gb, GPS and iPhone 2.0 will only make it that much more a part of my life.

BZ

Considering that I just spent $250 on a new phone, spent money on OmniFocus for the Mac, cannot test OmniFocus (or any non-free App) on the iPhone, and see other companies like iPassword offer the mobile version as a free extension of their desktop application I'm unpleasantly surprised by the $20 price. I'll wait and see what other mobile GTD apps will appear on the market in the coming weeks.

Last edited by clipboarder; 2008-07-12 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: refined title

What I haven't been able to find info on anywhere is how upgrades to App Store apps will be handled. $20 for v1.0 isn't that big a deal if I know I can get 1.1-1.9 for free (ponying up for v2.0 isn't unreasonable), but if I'd have to pay for each new version, then the price would have to come down by at least half.

While Apple will obviously know that I purchased v1.0, will the App Store be smart enough to have different terms for current license holders as opposed to new purchasers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonovan View Post
What I haven't been able to find info on anywhere is how upgrades to App Store apps will be handled. $20 for v1.0 isn't that big a deal if I know I can get 1.1-1.9 for free (ponying up for v2.0 isn't unreasonable), but if I'd have to pay for each new version, then the price would have to come down by at least half.

While Apple will obviously know that I purchased v1.0, will the App Store be smart enough to have different terms for current license holders as opposed to new purchasers?
I can't speak for other app developers, but Omni plans to offer minor updates (eg 1.1-1.9) for free, as we do with our desktop apps. Yes, Apple does provide the infrastructure for that. Whether we'll be able to offer a discount for 2.0 to current 1.0 users is less clear.

Looks like I was wrong. $20.

I still think it is a little on the high side as an OmniFocus owner, but it won't stop me and the other 1,000s of people from buying it.

$14 straight into OG's pockets. No other company deserves it more.

BZ