The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Overdue badges, hidden actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
No, it's not the new Ang Lee film about GTD.

Instead, I'm curious if there's any way to know that a context with an overdue badge is in fact showing hidden actions, and where those actions are hiding. With three filters (actions, duration, flagged), it can sometimes take a few moments to know where my overdue item is.

For example, I have a window showing in the viewbar Context/Due/Available/30 Min/Flagged. It currently show three items, and the sidebar informs me I have one action overdue. Unfortunately none of those three items are the overdue one.

To find that action, I have to change my filters to be as broad as possible (in this case, it's a remaining, no duration, unflagged action, so I have to change all three filters to Remaining/Any/All.

Any suggestions for making this easier? Omni, any plans for improving this behavior?

(Filed as feedback.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
No, it's not the new Ang Lee film about GTD.
*guffaw*

Quote:
Any suggestions for making this easier
How about this: instead of changing all your filters, pop open a new window with a wide-open perspective which you can just dismiss when you've found out what you wanted to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eronel View Post
How about this: instead of changing all your filters, pop open a new window with a wide-open perspective which you can just dismiss when you've found out what you wanted to know.
Yep, I've created a "No Filters" perspective, taking me down to one or two clicks. Much better, of course, but the workaround highlights the weakness.

It would be great if Omni would either override the filter when an overdue item is available (which it's doing by putting badges up), hide the badges when they don't match the filter, or provide a way of opening a context in unfiltered mode (this is possible today because they do it for the menubar badge; if you select the context there, it opens in context mode set to due/due/remaining/any/all).

Something like
  1. a double-click on the context opens a new window showing all the context's avaiable contents, or
  2. a double-click on the badge opens a new window showing all the items contributing to the badge count

As I think of this, I personally like both options. They'd be convenient shortcuts, and easily dismissed.

One problem is that a double-click in the project sidebar already has a meaning: it focuses on the project. I just discovered this, and I don't care for it at all; it doesn't feel to me like what a double-click should do, though I'm having a hard time saying why.

I vote for #2: a double-click on the badge opens a new window showing all the items contributing to the badge count

(sending feedback)