The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Browser Favicon + drag-and-drop-to-icon + QuickEntry Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a bit clueless about Quickentry and drag-and-drop, so I apologize if this is not really possible. But I know Quickentry is cool, I know that stuff can be dragged-and-dropped right onto the OF icon on the dock, and I've seen this procedure in action with Journler, so I'd really like to make it work. But so far, there are some challenges. Let me describe:

0. OF is already running.
1. Open a browser, go to cool website, drag-and-drop favicon onto OF icon on dock.
2. QuickEntry pops up with OF in the background. Great (so far).
3. Unfortunately, the focus is not on the QuickEntry window. How do I switch the focus to the QuickEntry window so I can complete the operation? (either via a setting, or a keyboard shortcut invoked right at this point in the process)
4. Unfortunately, the procedure has pasted TWO URLs into the task's note: (1) users/ssantra/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus, and (2) the URL from the website I was at. What's up with that?

So I'm wondering (a) how to shift focus automatically to QuickEntry so that I can close it, and (b) how NOT to have that file/path statement added to the note.

Any pointers anyone has to other topics re using drap-and-drop to dock icon and quick entry stuff also appreciated.

I'm also submitted a bug request, since I'm on sneakypeek.

Thanks!

The presence of URL (1) is a known bug. It seems like the QE window not getting focus is also a bug. Though I wonder why not just click the Save button in the QE window, since you're already using the mouse for the drag? (I guess I'm wondering if there is some efficiency here that I'm missing.)

Curt

I'm not quite sure I understand all of your report.

I dragged the URL for your post from the Address bar in OmniWeb and dropped it on my OmniFocus dock icon. A moment later, the Quick Entry window appeared, with "From OmniFocus - Perspective: Ticklers" (the name of the window on top of my stack) as the task description, selected, and the two URLs (one for the OmniFocus file, one for your post) in the notes field. I simply started typing and my characters replaced the selected text in the task description, no mouse click or keyboard shortcut required. Is that not what happens for you?

The clipping service seems much easier to use for this operation than dragging and dropping. I click on the URL icon in the address bar, click my clipping key combo (set in OF Preferences) and the Quick Entry window appears with the page name as the task description, and the two clickable links both point to the page, though one shows the page title and the other the URL. If I highlight some text on the page before clipping, the highlighted text replaces the second clickable link.

Also, there's a preference for the behavior of <return> in a QuickEntry window. I set it to <return> gets you a new line, <cmd>-S saves and exits, <esc> exits without saving, which allows keyboard-only operation and multiple entries. Even though my "mouse" is always at hand (I primarily use a Macbook), I prefer keyboard operation for the QE window.

None of this is intended to suggest that they shouldn't improve the behavior of drag-and-drop, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The clipping service seems much easier to use for this operation than dragging and dropping. I click on the URL icon in the address bar, click my clipping key combo (set in OF Preferences) and the Quick Entry window appears with the page name as the task description, and the two clickable links both point to the page, though one shows the page title and the other the URL. If I highlight some text on the page before clipping, the highlighted text replaces the second clickable link.
Yes, thank you! Didn't know this stuff. And focus is actually ON QuickEntry window!

Neither method works with Firefox, though. :-(

I just did some more testing. I have to say: I'm a little disappointed with OmniGroup on this one.

The drag-and-drop of a favicon right onto a program dock icon works flawlessly in both Things and Journler (and that's for both Safari AND Firefox, for both these apps). Drag it to dock program icon and BOOM, you're in that program, a quick entry box appears, the program automatically puts the focus immediately into the quick entry box, there aren't two links--just one, to the webpage, thank you--and you can retype the title (if you like) because it's already! selected. Sweet perfection--this is way way this type of UI should work.

If two small-time developers like Things and Journler can get this right, why can't OmniGroup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
If two small-time developers like Things and Journler can get this right, why can't OmniGroup?
So Things and Journler can do everything that OmniFocus can do and handle drag-and-drop to the dock icon. That's pretty impressive!

But seriously, developing software is an immensely complex undertaking. Developers have to prioritize bug reports and feature requests. Omni has chosen to put resources into sync support and iPhone first. Keep sending in bug reports. I'm confident that the Omni team will keep improving the product.

Curt