The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find and Replace only in selection? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to limit a find and replace to only the selected text?

Thanks!
Steve

I will rephrase my question: How do I limit a find and replace to only the selected text?

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry Steve, those two were spammers. I don't believe there's a way to do that unless I'm forgetting something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
How do I limit a find and replace to only the selected text?
A couple of thoughts:
  1. It has always been a pity that the Find and Replace functionality of oo3 is not exposed through the Applescript interface. It might be worth adding your voice to that request through OO3 > Help > Send Feedback
  2. It's also a pity that the Applescript library gives no access to the text selection within a row (only to a list of which rows are selected). Again, I would be inclined to visit Help > Send Feedback
(If you were prepared to lose any text formatting, it would be possible to write a search and replace script, using a shell command, for example, which only applied to selected rows).

Thanks for the update! This really surprises me that you can't find in only the selection. The ability to find and replace only in the selection or in a hoisted part of the outline would add much functionality for me.

I will add those feature requests Rob.

Steve

It should be confined to your hoisted view if that works for your needs. If you're seeing something different, please let me know.

Oops-- it does work in the hoisted view. That will be an acceptable solution for my needs. Thanks everyone for your help.

Steve