The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Start date perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm new to Omnifocus and basically put "driving me nuts" due dates on everything. Now decided to use the "Start" date feature and do not have any perspective for reviewing in my iPad and iPhone.

Does anyone have the instructions on how to sort create a "Start date" perspective (like the "Due" perspective)?

Thanks

On the iPhone and iPad, turn on display of items with Start Dates in the Forecast view. When in the Forecast view, tap the "eyeball" icon, and tick the Starting Items option.

With the Mac, you don't have Forecast view (yet). There I would suggest making a view similar to the Due view except showing Start Dates. To do so, click on the icon in the toolbar for the Due view. Do the following commands to alter the view:

View->Grouping->Start
View->Sorting->Due (among items with the same start date, show those due earlier first)
View->Availability->Remaining
View->Status Filter->Any Status
View->Estimated Time Filter->Any Duration

you may also with to add:

View->Columns->Start Date (turns on column that shows actual start date)
View->Columns->Due Date (turns on column that shows actual due date)

Now do Perspectives->Save Window As->New Perspective and choose a suitable name. For a bit of extra customization, after opening and closing the groups in the window to select which blocks of items you wish to see, bring up the Perspectives window with Perspectives->Show Perspectives, tick the "Restore: Expansion" box in the right side of the Perspectives window, then do Perspectives->Take Snapshot of (whatever you called your perspective).

Wonderful! Thanks for your help.

One issue: I don't see the Restore: Expansion" box on my on my Perspective s window screen:

"Restore: Expansion" box in the right side of the Perspectives window, then do Perspectives->Take Snapshot of (whatever you called your perspective).

Do Perspectives->Show Perspectives to bring up the Perspectives window. The left column is a list of all the perspectives defined, the right column is the parameters for the selected perspective. If you don't see anything except a list of perspectives, click the little box at the bottom with a triangle in it, next to the gear. Once you've got the whole window displayed, there's a section marked Restore: and one of the checkboxes under it is Selection. It should look similar to this:

Oh guys,

now this one really is a mess in the current osx omnifocus version. Why use start dates when there is no way to really see them in a "preview/calender" mode, or at list in a list clearly ordered by start dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMiller View Post
Oh guys,

now this one really is a mess in the current osx omnifocus version. Why use start dates when there is no way to really see them in a "preview/calender" mode, or at list in a list clearly ordered by start dates.
I'm confused by this question. I use start dates to get tasks that I'm not going to do in the next week or two, off of my list. (Edited to add: Essentially, these are the "someday" of someday/maybe.) I also use them in the official way, for tasks that I realistically can't start, even if I have nothing else to do, until a certain date. (Can't do my taxes until I get my W-2, for example.)

Neither of these uses, for me, would benefit from a list sorted by start date, and i only need to see the start dates when I'm setting them, usually in my weekly review, occasionally when I sit down and say, "Yeah, very funny, that's not happening this month," and I make a few more tasks disappear.

So I'm not saying that you're wrong to want to see them, but I don't "get" it. Would you mind explaining?