The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using Omni Sync Server for WebDAV "Sync" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Poritsky,
You rule!
I wouldn't have known how to do that, but I had Transmit and Omnisync server, and now I have a way to work between the Mac and iPad without a lot of version management, and a backup a wifi connection away.

Thank you very much for the tip.
:)

Take a look at ThinkNote as a possible competitor. I'm a die hard OOL user but did look at it before OOL came out. It's ALSO a very 1.0 product but it has serious promise.

I'll still be using OOL because I live in the desktop version. Just need integration between the too at day one.

Unfortunately this does nothing to give you a copy of the file on your local desktop/laptop, so not really a solution for those that aren't working exclusively on the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post
Unfortunately this does nothing to give you a copy of the file on your local desktop/laptop
I think the reason why the original poster mounts the sync server directory on their Mac is so they can access the files there. (They're using Transmit, but the Finder's "Connect to server..." option under the Go menu should work as well.) Hope that helps some!

Last edited by Brian; 2011-05-13 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: clarify where the command lives

All these workflows are too problematized for me, but it might be because I want something far easier: I just want my OPML files to be synchronized between my iPad and all my desktops. Since OPML is all text files I feel a little irritated that this doesn't "just work."

I like Goodreader's folder sync model: I have a Dropbox served folder full of documents that I've flagged to sync. They are all there on my iPad and they are all there on my desktops. When I add or change docs on either side I simply trigger a sync on the iPad and everything rights itself. There could be a conflict, I guess, but it is easy enough to handle.

The point is that I want all my docs to be there, already, so that I can change them no matter where I am. To have to "check out" a doc on my iPad (when I have connectivity) breaks the process.

I don't know how to resolve this... but without something like this I'll love OO4iPad from afar and wish that I could use it while I use something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I think the reason why the original poster mounts the sync server directory on their Mac is so they can access the files there. (They're using Transmit, but the Finder's "Connect to server..." option under the Go menu should work as well.) Hope that helps some!
Brian, right - by mounting I can view, open and save the file - but that would work insofar as my Internet connection holds - is that true? In other words, if I mounted and the connection got severed, I won't be able to get to a "local" version? Please let me know if I am wrong (I hope I am!)

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
Brian, right - by mounting I can view, open and save the file - but that would work insofar as my Internet connection holds - is that true?
True, but that's pretty easy to work around using Sync!Sync!Sync! - you can even use it in the free mode.

Install the app, mount your OSS or iDisk, then set S!S!S! up like in the screenshot - the "Two-Way" sync option means that files added on one end will show up on the other end.

The "Run all backups and quit" script in the download package triggers the sync as needed. Setting it up as as a login item and/or a folder action would get you even more automation.

Last edited by Brian; 2011-05-13 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: remove "or deleted" - S!S!S! doesn't delete.

Okay, remembered that Folder Actions only trigger when a file is added, not changed. Folks like imlad can use the attached automator workflow, along with the steps in this article to automatically/periodically sync the Mac with the stuff on their iDisk/Omni Sync Server folder/etc.

Open the workflow, add the details for the server you need to connect to, and you should be all set.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2-Way Sync with Folder on Server.zip (47.9 KB, 516 views)