The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

File format - just saying the obvious Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is about the Omnigroup website. I have not decided whether to buy OmniOutliner or not, for a simple reason: you do not state (in any obvious way) what file formats you generate. Am I going to be stuck with a bunch of proprietary files that cannot be read by other applications? Can this data be imported by word processing applications or turned into a text file, a graphics file, or a web page? I had to download a batch of sample files and open them with Text Wrangler to see that they XML files (apparently) renamed with an "OO3" extension.

If I may speak freely, your site should have less about how many cool things the app does, and more solid information about what is created and how it is used.

Uh, perhaps you need to do a bit more looking at the website :-)

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/om...iner/features/ in the Export Options section gives some details. The video on Printing and Exporting at http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnioutliner/videos/ gives more details. The manual can be downloaded from the link on the right side of the product overview page. Best of all, there's that bright green link up top that says "14 day trial" (it's free, and can be extended by emailing or calling Omni). If you get the OmniOutliner Professional variant, the Extras page has a number of plugins you can install to export to additional file formats.

Also, the core file format is pretty amenable to twiddling. It's a gzipped XML file in the package. I haven't seen the schema published anywhere, but when I looked at it I could figure it out fairly well. (I've been considering replacing a slow applescript which does some arithmetic on fields with a faster xslt.)