The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Security Update 2007-009 Problems Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So it appears that Security Update 2007-009 causes problems with OF, your Permissions get so screwed up that an Archive and Restore is the only cure.

How does one proceed with future Security Updates from Apple?

Wait in the trenches and see if the early adopters crash?

Are there opinions at Omni Group about this?

Or is this one of those issues that only effects 1 in 10 computers?

I've been testing the beta releases for a bit now, even through the last two or three Apple security updates, and haven't had a problem. And, until your post, I don't recall seeing a similar problem on this board linking Apple security updates with OF crashes.

While it's not impossible that there was a connection between the security update and your permission issues, I would say it's unlikely applying the security update broke OmniFocus for you. I've been running OmniFocus since June and have not had any issues like this. Of course it's always a good idea to have a complete backup (ideally a cloned backup you can boot) before applying operating system updates.

If you have a problem like this in the future, I would ask for help in resolving it (I seem to recall a few other posts about permission issues with OmniFocus that were not related to the security update) before doing something as drastic as an archive and install. I hope this advice helps you in the future.

I was the good people at OmniFocus Support who suggested the Security Update as a possible issue!

David-
It's looking more and more like this is a problem caused by the latest security update Apple released.

The relevant thread from our forums:
<http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5777>

which links to this thread on Apple's discussion boards on page three:
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6143620�>

the suggested fix would then be to do the following:
do a "Get Info" on the 'com.omnigroup.OmniFocus' folder. Add a 'system' permission, which is set to "Read & Write". Apply the privileges to any sub-folders, as well.

Does that help? If not, or if you have any other questions/suggestions, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Sincerely,
Brian C.
Support & QA Manager

Wow, that's bizarre that a security update is messing with permissions in a user's folder. I tried clicking the plus button in the permissions section of the GetInfo for the OmniFocus folder just to see what happened and it crashed the finder (as the apple discussion thread linked in the previous message says happens sometimes). Let's hope Apple fixes a lot of these bugs in 10.5.2.

Fixing the permissions is still simpler than doing a archive and install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaunton View Post
I was the good people at OmniFocus Support who suggested the Security Update as a possible issue!
That's just our support ninjas reporting on the latest speculation from the forum thread which discussed these permission problems: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5777.

I applied the security update and had no problems, and as I read through the discussions.apple.com thread it doesn't sound like that's talking about quite the same issue (since that thread talks about access control list entries getting mistakenly propagated, not about ownership changes).

So, unfortunately, I don't think we've truly figured out the problem yet.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2007-12-30 at 02:40 AM..