The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Things user wants to move to OmniFocus but struggles with single contexts. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoisite View Post
@Lucas

Please use my concrete example. How to avoid missing the „Buy hardware item xyz for Bob“ action when looking at the @Bob context when nothing hints/reminds me that there is an very important action that is related to Bob waiting in the @Hardwarestore context?
I think the "GTD" answer to this is that you can't buy the item from the hardware store when you are talking to Bob, so there is no reason it should be in a Bob context. If you're using it's existence in a Bob context to remind you to go to the hardware store, you should instead be using your regular reviews of your active projects for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
For OmniFocus 2, we're going to do our darndest to create an app that gives you as much of the upside of both approaches while exposing you to as little of the downsides. :-)
I asked for this in my first posting:
Quote:
The solution could be so simple dear OmniGroup developers:
Provide the option to use tags for those OmniFocus users who aren’t true GTD believers. The GTD rigorous disciples don’t have to use them. Everyone is happy. Group hug time.

Multiple contexts or tag support in OmniFocus would be the coffin nail for Things.
That is what I would like to see. Do it!

Quote:
Multiple contexts or tag support in OmniFocus would be the coffin nail for Things.
Yes, that's what I'm looking for! Multiple contexts/tags would be very helpful. Even if it doesn't become coffin nail for Things, it still will be very useful feature.

And if you could add iCal week-view bar somewhere… it could be at the top or at the bottom, main thing is to see what's in iCal for today or tomorrow, or when I set due date for some action.

That's an interesting work around Dennis, thanks. Unfortunately, that also requires me to scan through all the waiting tasks looking for a name for whom I'm waiting (which in creating the task is another unnecessary step), and more importantly will not work on the iPhone. Much of the time I check in on personality contexts before a meeting starts, or when I see someone in the hallway, and all I have is my iPhone. John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I handle this by simply Command-clicking the second context so both "Waiting" and "Joe" actions are displayed.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I cannot remember where I found them. That's a pity too, as they all came from a large, free collection site with a lot of quality icons.

On a side note, I found the icons from Greg's post. They're here: http://templay.de/Downloads/52/Free-Mobile-Berries.html

You have to register, which was a little difficult considering the page isn't in English. But I finally figured it out!

Ken, I hope you're not telling us that tagging is not coming to OmniFocus after all! Multiple contexts are far from being the only possible use of tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I think that the reason it makes sense to combine "Waiting" with other contexts is because it's actually a separate task state (like Active, Completed, On Hold, and Dropped) rather than a real context. Would it make sense for us to make it a task state like the others for OmniFocus 2?
Oh, yes, absolutely. That would be fabulous.

I would support making "Waiting" a task state, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild View Post
Oh, yes, absolutely. That would be fabulous.
Agree as well. You can have "waiting" as the state, and then assign a person as the context. That would be very helpful.