The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Keystrokes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all

I'm new to Omnifocus and am enjoying the program.
Keystrokes have become an obsession, as I've discovered new ones.
I use 'quick entry' all the time.

1. But I'm struggling to find the 'code' behind this. Any idea where I can find it? I'd like to make a new one based on this.

2. I want to create a keystroke that will bring Omnifocus to the fore, no matter what program I am currently using. So how do I create and install a 'universal' keystroke.

3. Where are the Omnifocus keystrokes anyway? I tried MacintoshHD/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus/ ; but there is no 'applications' subfolder AARRGGHH.

Macbook 10.6.2

Nigel

Check out Quickeys your shortcut tweaking desires:

http://www.startly.com/products/quickeys/mac/4/

I'd also put in a plug for Keyboard Maestro: http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/

I've been using it for a number of years, and I find its interface and logic to be quite well designed.

I should add, however, that I find the Command-Tab application switcher action to about as efficient as any Key command shortcut.

Last edited by sfkeydel; 2010-05-29 at 06:29 AM..

While we are plugging, I have to mention quicksilver. Sure its long in the tooth, but it works.

Control-space, o f enter

And I'm in OF!

Right... Quicksilver is brilliant. Personally, I use LaunchBar for my application launching and many other shortcuts:
http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/index.html
command + spacebar
O
<enter>
Launches OmniFocus or switches to it.

QuickKeys has helped fill in the gaps left by poor software design for using the keyboard.

Examples:
Software implementor doesn't use tabs to focus on next control... QuickKeys can emulate mouse movements and clicks.

Data entry in software relies on the mouse for every blippin item... QuickKeys to work around.

OmniFocus has paid attention to using the keyboard in their software... very impressed with their implementation.

Some of my favorite mappings with QuickKeys are:
ctrl + option + K = arrow down
ctrl + option + J = arrow left
ctrl + option + L = arrow right
ctrl + option + I = arrow up
This allows a user to control the cursor without moving the hands away from the home keys on the keyboard.

ctrl + command + M = Select text starting from cursor to beginning of line
ctrl + command + . = Select text starting from cursor to end of line
ctrl + option + U = Move cursor back one word
ctrl + option + O = Move cursor forward one word
ctrl + option + M = Select previous word
ctrl + option + . = Select next word

The important thing about those shortcuts is you can perform them with little hand movement. Compared to the Apple shortcuts they are mapped to which use the arrow keys.

¢¢

Last edited by SpiralOcean; 2010-05-29 at 09:01 AM..

The brilliance of QuickSilver is in it's flash and mystery. Really top notch. But I go back to LaunchBar for the functionality and more efficiency. A while back I did some comparisons in a blog:

http://launchbarvsquicksilver.blogspot.com/

Last edited by SpiralOcean; 2010-05-30 at 06:44 AM..

Thanks for answering my 2nd question. I'll have a look at both Quicksilver and Launcher.

However I still have 2 other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelh View Post
1. But I'm struggling to find the 'code' behind this. Any idea where I can find it? I'd like to make a new one based on this.

3. Where are the Omnifocus keystrokes anyway? I tried MacintoshHD/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus/ ; but there is no 'applications' subfolder AARRGGHH.
Any ideas?

Nigel

OmniFocus uses the Mac OS X keyboard shortcut functionality and event processing to make the Quick Entry box work. It is unclear to me what you mean when you say "I'd like to make a new one based on this." -- a new what? If you want to change the keyboard shortcut that activates the QE box, see the OmniFocus preferences. These functions aren't done by scripts, so you won't find anything in a scripts folder.

Thanks for that. I find it really handy that whatever program I am in, I can do a Quick entry. I want to copy and change the script so that whatever program I am in I can ... start a new Entourage message, open Onmifocus to check projects, browse a new link in Safari etc.
But if it is not a script I may not be able to do that.

Yeah, I think you are going to be a bit disappointed on that, depending on how closely you want to mimic the QE experience. There is code in OmniFocus that implements that feature, and you aren't able to repurpose that code for use with another application.

That's not to say that you can't tackle any of these things by use of AppleScript plus launcher programs such as Quicksilver, etc. Some assembly required, as they warn on the boxes for the really fun toys :-)