The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > General > Forums Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPad: how to attach photo to msg? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How may I attach a photo to a msg on this forum using my iPad?

Here's how I would do it:

Install the Dropbox app, if you haven't already done so.

Launch Dropbox, and navigate to the Public folder. Now tap the + at bottom left, and choose Existing Photo or Video. This will launch the photo picker and allow you to select an image which has been saved in your photo library. Once you've done that, the image will be uploaded to your Dropbox account and can be shared or published.

With the photo you just uploaded selected in the Dropbox sidebar (you should see the image on the right), tap the little chain link button in the menu bar, and choose Copy Link to Clipboard. Because you uploaded the image to your Public folder, this will give you a link that you can publish so anyone can see that image file.

Now leave Dropbox and launch Safari. Go to http://imageshack.us and tap the "url" button next to Upload. Then click in the "Paste image url here" field and paste in the URL that you generated earlier. Now make any changes you want to the image size, label, etc. and upload. When it is done, you'll get a list of links to share your image. I typically use the Forum Code choice. Tap in the field, tap Select All, then tap Copy (which will show up off to the right). Now you can go back to the page where you are editing your post and paste in the contents of the clipboard to insert the image on the spot.

cheers
I suppose this is a limitation of the forum software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussommer@mac.com View Post
I suppose this is a limitation of the forum software?
I guess you could see it that way, but the underlying issue is that transferring the image between different devices means putting it in a file and either sending the file or making it possible for the remote system to retrieve the file. If you had a web server running on your iPad, you could put the image there and point the forum software at it. Or, if mobile Safari allowed you to give a filesystem reference to the forum software you could do that, but the iPad hides the filesystem.

It is an issue that affects more than just this particular forum software. I have yet to encounter any web-based email service which wouldn't have the same issue, for example.

Hi Marcus,

If you don't mind the picture being inline rather than an attachment, it's possible to do it this way.

I'm assuming from your email address you have MobileMe? If so, you can use the 'Share and Email Link' button in the iDisk App to get a url you can paste into a post using the 'insert image' function, like so:

I mainly use GoodReader to pick photos from my photo library (and other attachments) and use it to rename, copy, link, move, etc. backwards and forwards to my iDisk.

Hope the above makes sense!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-13 at 08:59 AM..

It does make sense. Cheers :)