The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus for iPad interface feedback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Please don't.
Pretty Please Don't......

Pretty please give version 2 ????
I want Tags and Priorities !

Big-time seconded for tags. Not against priorities, but don't have a use for them myself.

I would use tags as a substitute for flagging. Do now, do tonight, Thursday... Short-term timing of when I'm ready to actually get stuff accomplished. Flagging is too limiting.

I just watched that 4 second video, and I can't believe my eyes. I'll admit, Omnifocus was never known as being the prettiest GTD tool. But this iPad mockup has to be a joke! Everything about it is wrong, so much so that I can't even criticise. It's like asking "hey, take a look at this piece of [crap], what's so ugly about it?" Umm..IDK, it's brown? should be blue? No..it would still look like [crap]!

No offense Brian, but this is subpar work. If the released app looks like this, I will not only NOT buy it, I will move over to Things. Maybe that's where the party is at these days?

You want constructive criticism? Take the night off. Heck, take the weekend off. Have a nice 4th of July, drink some beers, enjoy the fireworks, Don't think about Omnifocus for iPad. And on Tuesday, delete the entire app and start from square one. I'm dead serious, SQUARE ONE.

My advice, get rid of these new UI elements, port the iphone app, add a few photorealistic graphics like binder rings, or torn pages, and shovel this app out the door already.

Sorry to be harsh, but I've been anxiously awaiting this app for my ipad, and I'm shocked that this is what I'm waiting for!

Last edited by Brian; 2010-07-02 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Profanity is unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodiebrad View Post
I just watched that 4 second video, and I can't believe my eyes. I'll admit, Omnifocus was never known as being the prettiest GTD tool. But this iPad mockup has to be a joke! Everything about it is wrong, so much so that I can't even criticise. It's like asking "hey, take a look at this piece of $hit, what's so ugly about it?" Umm..IDK, it's brown? should be blue? No..it would still look like $hit!

No offense Brian, but this is subpar work. If the released app looks like this, I will not only NOT buy it, I will move over to Things. Maybe that's where the party is at these days?

You want constructive criticism? Take the night off. Heck, take the weekend off. Have a nice 4th of July, drink some beers, enjoy the fireworks, Don't think about Omnifocus for iPad. And on Tuesday, delete the entire app and start from square one. I'm dead serious, SQUARE ONE.

My advice, get rid of these new UI elements, port the iphone app, add a few photorealistic graphics like binder rings, or torn pages, and shovel this app out the door already.

Sorry to be harsh, but I've been anxiously awaiting this app for my ipad, and I'm shocked that this is what I'm waiting for!
Keep taking the meds won't you...

Doodiebrad, you'll have to judge for yourself when the final app is released, but Ken's intention in showing that video was to give folks a peek into the functionality the app will have. The UI work there was very rough and early.

The basic concepts on display there haven't (and almost certainly won't) change - the color scheme is darker than the iphone app, and there are still grouped scrolling rows for your actions. We've refined and iterated and polished the details a ton since then, though. The app in that video doesn't look much like the one I'm testing every day.

I can't predict whether the final product will be to your taste. I do know it's some of the best work we've done and that I'm extremely proud of it. In the end, I think making stuff that way is a better choice than making stuff we don't believe in just to try and win some kudos on the Internet.

The biggest thing we learned from that video was that in the absence of context, tiny bits of information don't inform; they confuse and distract. We'll make a lot more information available when the app launches. I'm sure we'll get plenty of feedback at that point, and I look forward to yours along with everyone else's. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
Keep taking the meds won't you...
RiK, thank you for defending us, but it would be a huge favor if you could refrain from doing so by resorting to ad hominem attacks. I do agree that Doodiebrad's tone wasn't particularly mature, but I'm hoping that we can reduce that kind of thing over time by setting a good example.

Honestly, I have been buying OmniGroup software since 2002 (January 28th, 2002 - OmniGraffle & OmniWeb if you must know $89.90) and they have NEVER put out a unusable or ugly application.

The have always been well designed, trending towards function over form, simplicity and usability instead of eye candy (Maybe Sparkle?).

To that end, for over 8.5 years, I trust OmniGroup, its leadership and their software development skills.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Honestly, I have been buying OmniGroup software since 2002 (January 28th, 2002 - OmniGraffle & OmniWeb if you must know $89.90) and they have NEVER put out a unusable or ugly application.

The have always been well designed, trending towards function over form, simplicity and usability instead of eye candy (Maybe Sparkle?).

BZ
I couldn't agree with you more. I agree that OF may not be the most visually sparkling task application, but it's highly functional, efficient, and flexible.

This reminds me of my earlier days as audiophile. I used to buy equipments that might not have great visual appeal but sounded superb, and some of my friends always gravitated toward looks over sound. Guess, who had a better listening experience with their equipments?

You have to look at the substance sometimes to see the true quality of engineering.

Last edited by ksrhee; 2010-07-02 at 08:48 AM..

Poor Ken must regret posting that 4-second video clip :) I for one am just looking forward to seeing the new product. I love the new iPhone app and am confident that the iPad app will be great.

Not sure if this would ever be a possibility, but the idea of assigning a task to more than one context would be a nice feature - it might not work without some significant changes to OF database structure, but would be a great feature.