The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keyboard shortcuts, menus, and a bug Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
(a) Is there a reason why the shortcuts for Inbox, Projects, and Contexts can't simply be ⌘1, ⌘2, and ⌘3, respectively?

⌘3 is not presently being used, and the current scheme -- ⌥⌘1, ⌘1, and ⌘2 -- is not as intuitive as it could be. :-) Although Inbox and Projects share a window, they are, in fact, 3 separate "modes," if you will, and I think ⌘1, ⌘2, and ⌘3 would be easier to remember.

(b) Secondly, in keeping with the "natural" flow of GTD, shouldn't "Inbox" be the first item listed in the View menu, followed by "Projects," and then "Contexts"? Seems (chrono)logical.

(c) Finally, when viewing Contexts, selecting "Projects" (via either menu or shortcut) actually takes me to the *Inbox*, not to Projects. I realize that Inbox and Projects "share" a view, but in rev. 88079, selecting "Projects" does not cause Projects to be focused (displayed); instead, it causes the Inbox to be focused (displayed). (In other words, selecting "Inbox" and "Projects" produces the very same results, which I believe is incorrect behavior.) :-)

On the last point, I think OmniFocus is remembering the last setup of the view on the Projects side. So it isn't that "Inbox" and "Projects" always lead to the same place, it's that coincidentally the last time you were on the Projects side you were probably looking at your Inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
On the last point, I think OmniFocus is remembering the last setup of the view on the Projects side. So it isn't that "Inbox" and "Projects" always lead to the same place, it's that coincidentally the last time you were on the Projects side you were probably looking at your Inbox.
That should be the behavior for every "previous state" EXCEPT for viewing Inbox. It's not a feature to have to click an empty area to get back to my Projects view after invoking it's keystroke.

I'm now in revision 88106, and while the behavior is slightly different, it's still buggy. (I realize this is still an Alpha!)

Do this:

1. Start in Projects view.
2. Use the menu command or keyboard shortcut to switch to Contexts.
3. Use the menu command or keyboard shortcut to switch to Inbox.

4. Now click the View menu to see which mode is selected: there's still a checkmark next to "Projects."

5. Also, while "Projects" has a checkmark, try to switch (via menu) to Inbox. I can't; the checkmark remains beside "Projects."

6. Finally, try to switch (via menu) to Projects (while it's checked, but while the UI is still on Inbox). Again, I can't switch.

So there are still little quirks that still need to be tweaked. :-)