The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Start By or Don't Start Until ?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find the start date option really useful. But it seems it is a Can't Start Until, or Don't Start Until date ? Is there a way of making it a Start Before or Start By date so that if I set a start date in the future the next action isn't greyed out but it still the next action ?

Thanks - Michael

Michael,

The general philosophy with OF seems to be that tasks are things that can be accomplished in one sitting. You don't have to use it that way, but that way of thinking helps me understand how to best work with the tool.

With that in mind, "start by" and "due by" can be seen as essentially the same thing for a single task. On the other hand, for a project with multiple tasks, it makes a lot of sense to have a "start by" date to get the ball rolling on the project. For that, I tend to put a due date on the first task of the project. Often that task will be something like "Do some back-of-the-envelope planning for project Foo".

Hope that helps.

Curt

Hi Curt that makes sense. I'm guessing I was using for things that would take a week say and then putting start date a week before the due date with the idea in my mind that I wouldn't mind if I started earlier than that. But your idea of making a start NA with a due date would work.

Thanks

Michael