The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to I create a new folder and or project with mail rules? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Guys -

I'm trying to write a script that uses the mail rules to populate all the actions necessary for a photo shoot. I would like to have a new folder or project created if it doesn't already exist. I tried this:

--Testing e-mail scripting >Wedding:Client Name:Project_Name @Shoot #tomorrow #04-01-2012 $1h

Where wedding is a folder and Client Name is a folder nested in "wedding". project_name would be the name of the project.

But that's not doing it. Is this possible? If so, what's the correct syntax?

No, the built-in facility won't create projects or folders or contexts, and items that don't match something are put in the Inbox. I expect the thinking is that something that doesn't match is probably a mistake for many users.

Why not use Applescript to directly check if such a folder/project exists, and populate it if not? I'm busy for the next day or two, but after that could probably help you out.

Ultimately... that's what I want to do (an applescript), but I'm not an Applescript person, so I'd have to come up to speed as I write it. I know it's not a complicated language, so it probably wound't take me long to figure it out, but for now, I was just going to do something in perl or ksh and then mail the output into Omnifocus, but if the mail rules can't do what I'm wanting, I'll have to do the applescript now.