The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Column Width Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings all,

I'm having trouble with a date column and trying to make it narrower. The date format I have set for the column is "abbreviated by name," immediately followed by "month by number," (without a space between them) followed by a / which is then followed by "day as number." Which ends up reading: "Tue04/14".
In version 3, when I make the column just the right with it reads like this:

Tue
04/14

in version 4 I am unable to adjust the width of the column any narrower than whatever with its restricting me to and the result looks like this:

Tue04/1

I much preferably results in version 3 as it takes up much less paper when printing to have the narrower column. I have searched for the old window that used to show up under page setup that allowed me to adjust columns for plain text export. I have no idea whether this will solve the problem, but I was going to give that a try.

Is there a workaround/fix/solution?
I have uploaded a screenshot.

Thanks, Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OO4 Column width for date.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	2962  

The minimum width of columns was increased in v4 as it was a bit ridiculous in v3. I will add your request to lower this though. Thanks!

So, this begs the question, why was the narrower column width considered "ridiculous?" If the column were used with just the short day of the week, that would be just three digits wide...
Inquiring minds want to know.
:-)

The min width in v3 barely fit 1 character at default size and had UI issues. Date columns have a wider min width largely due to there being a calendar widget now that appears in the cell and date formats are not that short. The calendar widget itself requires a wider column so you could actually click into the cell and not always the widget. If you all you cared about was the day of the week, you don't really need the abilities of the date column. Only the topic, date, and pop-up columns have a wider minimum width.

Derek, thank you for the explanation. I hope that the column can reduce down to 2 characters wide. If not that, then 4 max.

Thanks, Scott