The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Minimizing OmniFocus for iPhone's startup & sync time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you contact the support ninjas; we'll be happy to look into this with you. (I see some tickets in the support database from the email address your forum account is attached to, but they all appear to be crash reports.)

If there's some other email address I should look for, please send me a private message. That way, we can avoid re-hashing the stuff you've already tried.

The iPhone syncing problems for OmniFocus are so pronounced and unique to OmniFocus that Google even has its own suggested search term: "omnifocus iphone sync slow."

I really like the product - OmniFocus is the only true gtd app and platform. But OmniFocus's persistent, unfixed syncing issue is bad for users like myself. It materially negatively impacts the usability of the program and causes me to regularly look for an alternative that doesn't have this syncing problem. And based on search engine results and App Store sales rankings, the still unresolved syncing issue is hurting OmniFocus and sending users to programs like Things and ToDo.

By way of comparison, the MobileMe syncing of Apple's Address Book's contacts has become seamless and very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbm View Post
By way of comparison, the MobileMe syncing of Apple's Address Book's contacts has become seamless and very fast.
Comparing rather different scenarios here -- how often do you change 50 or 100 address book cards in a single sync? That's not an uncommon number of changes for OmniFocus. It certainly isn't fast when I turn on MobileMe syncing of calendars or address book cards on a new machine, and I've spent many an hour on the phone with Apple trying to get the various MobileMe sync components working reliably.

This is in no way intended to suggest that Omni should ease up on their efforts to improve the typical sync experience in OF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
This is in no way intended to suggest that Omni should ease up on their efforts to improve the typical sync experience in OF!
I think the typical sync experience is actually pretty good - forum posts aren't always a good indicator, since the folks that are happy with their sync times are less motivated to post. If the pool of customers is large enough, you may still get frequent posts about a topic even if 99% of your customers aren't having problems.

Of course, my point here isn't to dismiss the problem reports, or to say that we aren't looking for ways to shorten sync times! We know how important this feature is to our customers. It's just that there isn't a single change that we can suggest to resolve every issue that a customer may be having.

Upshot: Whenever folks are unhappy with their sync times, please contact us and we'll be happy to investigate and assist. (Email is preferred because we sometimes need to look at system logs or other information that isn't very forum-friendly.)

Any chance you could set up a setting to allow automatic archiving of old data, perhaps once a month, like you have automatic backup?

Connor

Connor, be sure to send in your request with Help->Send Feedback or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com so it gets entered in the development database.

I just hit on the solution to having too many zip files. I use the iPhone app standalone, i.e. I do not have a Mac.
Here's what I did:
- Hit "Don't Sync" under Settings/Sync Settings
- Close Omnifocus and stop it running
- Open Omnifocus again after a while...
- It will then optimize the database, instead of syncing to the server
- Now there is 1 zip file rather than ~800 and I have enabled syncing again.

Folks,

sure that some will agree on that - syncing Omnifocus using Omnisync not only takes long time, but it's too sluggish and the intervals are too long as well.

Any chance or outlook that this will be improved?
Other apps can do better - with nearly the same amount of data (complexity).

Sorry for the trouble here! If the steps on the first page of this thread don't improve your sync times as much as you'd like, contact our support folks via email or by calling 800.315.6664 - we'll be happy to help.

Agree. Sync on iOS is very very slow. Please do something!