The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New OmniFocus 2 for iOS7 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How long has OF for iPhone been out now? Is it about 4 years, I forget?

Maybe the original cost the same as V2 now - in the UK that's £14.

£14.

A couple of pizzas? 2 CDs. 4 pints of beer?

How do people whine about Omni and the prices they charge and keep a straight face? I've had OF for iPhone since shortly after its introduction - 4 years then - and have used it many, many times every single day since I first installed it.

£14

Did you regret buying those pizzas?

Can record and take notes at the same time? On OF 1 this cannot be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post
I'd like to second that one. I didn't need the hyphens to make it happen it just sometimes refuses to put the insertion point where I want at the end of a line.
IMO, this illustrates a fault of Apple to provide universally better methods to position the cursor in text fields on their iOSX devices. Anyone use Awesome Note on the iPad? It adds arrows <- -> just above the keyboard input. They allow you to scroll directly by single letters at a time. How many times I have wished that such input method was universal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
I'm not sure if you understand. There is LITERALLY NO WAY that Omni Group can offer you a discount on your upgrade, without dropping the price for EVERY HUMAN ON THE PLANET. And that's not really good business sense if their business is built on getting $20 from people who purchase the new version. They have employees, they have costs, Ken has been doing this for a while, they probably know what fits their revenue model.

This is the first paid upgrade for OmniFocus for iPhone in FIVE YEARS. Sheesh.
Interestingly, another GTD app I recently purchased, as a newer version, offered me a reduced price because I already had its predecessor installed on my device. It was delivered as an in-app process ( a brilliant concept ). Basically, you downloaded the app as a trial (limited to 30 days), with an in-app purchase option to upgrade to the full version. On the surface, it was very well done. In the future, it might be possible for Omni Group to offer OmniFocus as a trial ( try before you buy ), and then, if you want to, opt for an in-app purchase to have the pro-version activated. At the activation time, Omni Group can check for the ownership of the previous version and apply a discount. This would give loyal customers a thank you ( via a little discount ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingcow View Post
Basically, you downloaded the app as a trial (limited to 30 days), with an in-app purchase option to upgrade to the full version. On the surface, it was very well done. In the future, it might be possible for Omni Group to offer OmniFocus as a trial ( try before you buy ), and then, if you want to, opt for an in-app purchase to have the pro-version activated. At the activation time, Omni Group can check for the ownership of the previous version and apply a discount. This would give loyal customers a thank you ( via a little discount ).
The App Store doesn't allow trial versions. Your app may have slipped through the vetting process, but they seem to be breaking the rules.

Clear ($1 for iPhone), launched in 2012 disappeared with the new iOS 7 version but has be reinstated as a supported app (will get iOS 7 update) and the new app ($5 for iPhone, iPad) initially sporting the same name is now called Clear+

I am not been recommending that OmniG follow suit, but interesting that the company so quickly changed their plans to let the iPhone only version expire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentajones View Post
The App Store doesn't allow trial versions. Your app may have slipped through the vetting process, but they seem to be breaking the rules.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The app as a whole isn't a trial. It remains available. However, its key features are subject to a time-limited trial. An in-app purchase switches the features from trial to pro.

If you are interested, the app implementing the above behaviour is called MLO 2.

Also, there are numerous apps available in the App Store designed to present ads. They often provide an in-app purchase to disable ads.

On the whole I am a huge believer in the value of the Omnigroup software tools. If you can't get the full value from the apps then you're either not using them to their full capability or you simply don't need them.

As for the upgrade on the iPhone, as long as version 1 gets critical defects fixed I don't see why anyone has a really legitimate issue. Either buy the upgrade or don't.

Having said all that, I have upgraded and I'm a little underwhelmed. It looks nice, but I'm not convinced it is a step forward in usability. The home screen itself feels a little awkward and is too prescriptive. I only use flagged in tandem with a context and I never use nearby. Couple that with the blank space next to inbox and you have a lot of screen space wasted for me.

Given how different visually it is to OF for iPad there is a strong case for prioritising iPad over Mac.

Taking look and feel out of the equation am I missing something if I stick with of1 for now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
You can restore OmniFocus 1 from your Purchased Apps list in the App Store.
I still think that leaving it on the store would have been nicer. I know there is a list of purchased apps somewhere, but when I want to re-install an old app I usually just search for its name, and now that won't work anymore. (That's exactly what happened to me with Clear two days ago, before I was even aware of the PR drama surrounding their update.)

Of course this all wouldn't be a problem if Apple had support for paid updates… :(

This is all very sad. I still like OmniFocus and will probably continue to use it for as long as it works, but I already spend more money on it than really makes sense to me. I'm speaking from a personal, subjective viewpoint here, but I kind of assumed that with this much money for a task planner, a certain longevity would be included in the price.
Of course, version 1 has been out for a while, so a lot of people have gotten a lot of use out of it, but it's also still available in the App Store, so people still buy it for 70 Euros today. I can promise you that none of them would feel insulted by some special upgrade pricing when version 2 comes around.