The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni's upgrading policy? Upgrade price? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Howdy --

After paying for and struggling through the quirks of both FastTrack and iTask in the past, we're strongly considering (and strongly in need of) a purchase of OP. What it lacks in broad functionality, it makes up for in usability.

Yet here's the problem: Buy now, since we have the great need, and pay yet again when the upgrade comes; or wait in the hope that v2 is coming soon and the functionality will be there, while the project gets behind. Which one?

In short, what's Omni's upgrade policy, in general? Will a 1.1.1 buyer today get 2 at a reasonable upgrade price two months from now?

Penny-pinching, I know, but as you can see... I've already wasted money on two underperforming or otherwise un-usable apps in the past.

-- TG

I can't make any specific promises about what will happen with OmniPlan 2, but I can certainly speak to our general upgrade policies. Our upgrade prices are about a third of the buy-new prices. If you check our online store, for instance, you'll see the OmniGraffle Pro 3 to 4 upgrade is $49.95, and buying new is $149.95.

We also tend to have public beta periods for new versions before they are actually completed, and during the end of this period (1-2 months) it is fairly common for us to have buy-last-version-now-get-next-version-free offers.

But we're not anywhere near that situation for OmniPlan. Version 1.1.2 is about to go final, and we're currently working on a 1.2 release that will be another free upgrade for all v1 users. OmniPlan 2 won't be coming for some time after that. I can't really guess publicly, but definitely quite a bit longer than the two months you guess at.

This helps greatly, thank you.

-- TG