The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Setting up calendar alerts in OmniFocus for iPhone [Retired: use local notifications] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I take omnifocus ONLY on the iphone and do not need to be synchronized via internet. How do I make a sound notifications for my task or project?

Short answer: you can't currently.

Synchronizing calendars via a WebDAV server is the only way to get alerts. See the multiple posts in this and other threads for a description of why this is the case.

Curt

Hello
I don't understand how do work the "remove warnings" in the OmniFocus Reminders settings...it is meant to remove warnings from the calendar or...?

thanks

Alessandro

Alessandro, if you let me know the specific text from OmniFocus' Italian localization you're having trouble with, I'll be happy to take a look and sort out what the control does.

There are controls in that panel that would stop the app from syncing any more events to your server, but I don't think that actually removes anything from the server...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you sync desktop and iPhone before the notification time, yes, you'll get the notification.

Apparently this is on the list for 1.7, with sneaky peeks due out Real Soon Now.
....but in order to get notification on iPhone, you have to:

1. enter task in Omnifocus-Mac and sync with WebDav
2. open Omnifocus-iPhone and sync with WebDav

..Otherwise you won't receive calendar notification on iPhone. I tested that...although it should work without the described steps, as Omnifocus-Mac does update the WebDav server and iPhone calendar does sync with the same WebDav-server.

thanks Brian,

it is under "Usa SSL"
"Rimuovi avvisi" in italian...

Alessandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire00 View Post
....but in order to get notification on iPhone, you have to:

1. enter task in Omnifocus-Mac and sync with WebDav
2. open Omnifocus-iPhone and sync with WebDav
No, if you enter it on OmniFocus-Mac with current software (1.7.5) it will not get synced to the WebDAV calendar until it is first synced to the OmniFocus-iPhone because only the OmniFocus-iPhone client writes to that calendar at the moment.
Quote:
..Otherwise you won't receive calendar notification on iPhone. I tested that...although it should work without the described steps, as Omnifocus-Mac does update the WebDav server and iPhone calendar does sync with the same WebDav-server.
See above. Only the iPhone app currently updates the calendar, not the desktop version. It is not necessary to have the desktop application to get these notifications. I entered an action with a due date half an hour in the future on my iPod, synced it, and got the calendar warning 5 minutes before the due date, just as configured, even though I didn't have OmniFocus running on my Mac at the time. The thing to watch out for is that the calendar app on the iPhone has enough time to do one of its syncs and pull over the updated calendar before the notification time arrives, or you won't get your notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelchi View Post
thanks Brian,
it is under "Usa SSL"
"Rimuovi avvisi" in italian...
Aha! You're talking about the panel in Settings.app, as opposed to one of the panels in OmniFocus. I understand now. :-)

If you enable that option, iCal on your phone will create events based on the calendar file we put on the server, but will ignore the alarms that the file says should go along with them.

Does that help?

thanks Brian...

but...
there is a way (an applescript) to transfer an OF task to an Ical event keeping the OF context (not creating events in a new, dedicated, calendar...)?
thanks
Alessandro

iCal requires that events or to-dos be assigned to one of the calendars that it knows about. Because of this limitation, the only way to do this would be to make calendars in iCal that match up with your OmniFocus contexts.