The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Different units for duration and effort? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to set the default units to be different for duration and effort? For example, I want to see my durations in days and my effort in hours. Changing the "duration display" options in the inspector seems to affect both fields.

I have this need as well, in addition to the broader need of being able to separate duration from effort. If I have a task that will take 20 hours of effort but I know it will be over four weeks, I want OP to calculate that automatically. It might, but I'm new to it and haven't seen an easy way to do this.

F

Fred, exactly what do you want OmniPlan to do? Just set your effort percentage for that task to 20 / <number of work hours in four weeks for the resource>? That's not really ideal, as it prevents you from scheduling any task which requires more than the amount left over until that task is over. If we figure there are 160 hours in four weeks, that means you've got a task bar that occupies 12.5% of 100% for four weeks, and if you try to schedule a task at more than 87.5% of 100% effort for that resource anywhere during those four weeks, you'll either get a violation, or it won't be scheduled until after the four weeks. OmniPlan will not schedule a request to do 4 days of 100% of 100% into 5 days of 80% at 100%.

Both of you should send email via Help->Send Feedback to get your requests in front of the developers.

I want OP to do math for me. : ) Some tasks I know are going to be X hours for Y weeks, so rather than have to figure out what that percentage is I'd just like to type the hours and the duration separately and have the computer sort it out. Computers are good at math. I am not. : )

Thanks for the send feedback suggestion... I'll do that!

F.