The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Insert Files to OF tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliee
Being able to add links is a start but I want to be able to embed attachment files into OF.
This is supposed to work now: we added support for embedded attachments at the same time as we added links. While editing a note, either select "Attach File" from the Edit menu (or the note's contextual menu), or drag a file onto the note and hold down Option as you drop it. (This is a standard dragging convention on the Mac: if you hold down Option, it will try to make a copy; if you hold down Control, it will try to make a link.) Oh, and you can paste them in as well.

Unfortunately, embedded attachments are basically unusable at the moment: you can add an attachment, but you can't actually get them back out yet. (You can currently tell it's an attachment rather than a link because only linked file give you the option of opening the file when you Control-Click or Right-Click on them. Ultimately, we'll badge linked files differently so you can tell whether the file is linked or embedded at a glance.)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006
Thanks for explaining how to do this. I just saw your post today, and it is very heplful.
Oh, you don't have to go through all those steps to link to files anymore: you should be able to just drag them into a note.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk
If you sync tasks with embedded files, does that mean the associated task on your palm/cellphone/whatever would contain a possibly huge file, one that probably can't be read?
Since iCal only supports plain text (no formatting or inline images or links or attachments), we write a plain text representation of the note when you synchronize with iCal.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
[...] or drag a file onto the note and hold down Option as you drop it. (This is a standard dragging convention on the Mac: if you hold down Option, it will try to make a copy; if you hold down Control, it will try to make a link.)
Is the link shown as a link, or as a complete image, in the case of a linked PDF file? I dragged its proxy icon (from the Preview.app window title bar) to the notes space of a task in Project view, holding down Control, and the whole PDF page appeared where I expected a link.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
This is supposed to work now: we added support for embedded attachments at the same time as we added links. While editing a note, either select "Attach File" from the Edit menu (or the note's contextual menu), or drag a file onto the note and hold down Option as you drop it. (This is a standard dragging convention on the Mac: if you hold down Option, it will try to make a copy; if you hold down Control, it will try to make a link.) Oh, and you can paste them in as well.

Unfortunately, embedded attachments are basically unusable at the moment: you can add an attachment, but you can't actually get them back out yet. (You can currently tell it's an attachment rather than a link because only linked file give you the option of opening the file when you Control-Click or Right-Click on them. Ultimately, we'll badge linked files differently so you can tell whether the file is linked or embedded at a glance.)
So right now embedded attachments can be added via menu, context-menu, or drag-and-drop, but links can only be added via drag-and-drop.

Will there eventually be equal-access for links?
 
I suppose these are just alpha oddities. Control-dragging a file should, as Ken said, produce a link (in the form of a text string you can click, upon which the linked file will open in the associated application).

Having said that, I would prefer a simple drag action (i.e. without having to hold Control) to also produce a link. Who wants OmniFocus' database to fill up with files that are probably stored elsewhere on their machines already?

Apart from the size-of-database argument, I also think catch-all applications are not the way to go; PDFs and image files should open in Preview, not OmniFocus. (I don't now about Linkback, though. Do linkbacked files live in OF's database?)
 
So is there a way to drag a folder from the Finder into OF to create a link?

In working with my OF Project list, I would like to have a way to quickly open a related project folder of support material that is in my documents folder on my Mac.

-- Don
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz4pax@mac.com
So is there a way to drag a folder from the Finder into OF to create a link?
Certainly! While editing a note, just drag a folder onto it. You'll be asked whether you would like to copy the folder or make an alias (i.e. link) to it; choose Alias. (You can skip the prompt by holding down Control as you drag to make an alias, or Option to make a copy.)

We plan to add support for dropping files directly onto items without having to start editing their notes first, but that's not done yet. (We also plan to let you click on an attachment to open it, but for now you have to Right-Click or Control-Click and choose Open from the contextual menu.)
 
Being able to link to files and folders is tremendously handy. Thanks.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramNetherlands
Having said that, I would prefer a simple drag action (i.e. without having to hold Control) to also produce a link. Who wants OmniFocus' database to fill up with files that are probably stored
Link is already supposed to be the default behavior for simple drags; if you're seeing something else, please let us know!
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick way to insert new task between dependent tasks? joshfree OmniPlan General 6 2012-07-03 04:25 AM
How to attach files in DEVONthink Pro to OmniFocus tasks? Indyprint OmniFocus 1 for Mac 11 2012-01-05 04:28 PM
Finder plugin to create tasks from files iNik OmniFocus Extras 1 2008-11-10 03:15 PM
Feature request - default insert location for new tasks dondo OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2008-07-21 10:32 AM
Copying tasks across files - assigned resources lost? gemello OmniPlan General 1 2007-05-01 01:08 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.