The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
DropBox support? [A: Document sync is coming, but not based on Dropbox or iCloud.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
jpagels original point was not about whether dropbox should be supported, but the fact that through send to it is supported, but broken.

If you try to send a OmniGraffle format file to dropbox it fails. If you send it as a PDF or other it works.

If sending it to dropbox as a OmniGraffle file is not supported, it should be be offered as an option.

One possibility is that the failure has something to do with the DropBox importation feature. But we have no idea whether anyone has even looked at this issue.

Larry
 
Beyond Dropbox, is iCloud support (both Mac and iPad) planned? If so, I'd buy the iPad version in a heartbeat.
 
We're implementing document sync for OmniGraffle and our other document-based apps, but it'll be based on open web technologies, rather than tied to a particular vendor's proprietary back end. Document sync is coming, in other words, but it won't be based on Dropbox or iCloud.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We're implementing document sync for OmniGraffle and our other document-based apps, but it'll be based on open web technologies, rather than tied to a particular vendor's proprietary back end. Document sync is coming, in other words, but it won't be based on Dropbox or iCloud.
I understand how this might be attractive from an engineering perspective, but I don't see how this benefits users. The applications you're developing are already tied to a single vendor's proprietary technology, Apple. Why not support their flagship cloud service? How does it benefit me, as a customer, to have to use a different cloud service to keep my documents in sync?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthumb View Post
I understand how this might be attractive from an engineering perspective, but I don't see how this benefits users. The applications you're developing are already tied to a single vendor's proprietary technology, Apple. Why not support their flagship cloud service? How does it benefit me, as a customer, to have to use a different cloud service to keep my documents in sync?
Do you remember Apple's previous cloud service? I get Http/1.1 Service Unavailable when I visit the webpage now...
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Do you remember Apple's previous cloud service? I get Http/1.1 Service Unavailable when I visit the webpage now...
Supporting iCloud does not require that they abandon supporting alternative services.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthumb View Post
Supporting iCloud does not require that they abandon supporting alternative services.
One of the situations they are attempting to protect against is Apple deciding that they are tired of iCloud and they have something new they'd rather we use. MobileMe is an example of Apple doing just that — yanking the rug out from under the users of their previous "latest and greatest" service in favor of a new one. Apple also yanked some of the calendar access support, which made it impractical for OmniFocus to continue to sync with iCal. How many times do you need to be burned before you draw the conclusion that the stove is hot, and maybe you should lean against something else?

So, building the sync mechanism on technology not tied to any one vendor means that the sync mechanism will not be held hostage by the whims of a third party. If you build it yourself, you control it. If someone else builds it, you don't.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
So, building the sync mechanism on technology not tied to any one vendor means that the sync mechanism will not be held hostage by the whims of a third party. If you build it yourself, you control it. If someone else builds it, you don't.
I fully understand your point, and it is a legitimate one. However, again, supporting iCloud does not mean that they cannot support other, vendor-neutral technologies. Omnigroup exists to serve their customers. I am (one) customer that wants them to support a particular feature. I suspect I am not the only one.
 
Not really much point in building the same thing over and over, when the list of other feature requests is as long as it is. In any case, they've publicly stated that iCloud was technically unworkable for their needs, and they spent a year trying to make the square peg go into the round hole before reluctantly making that decision. Unless Apple decides to fix the issues that made it unworkable, you might as well ask for a pony...
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Not really much point in building the same thing over and over, when the list of other feature requests is as long as it is. In any case, they've publicly stated that iCloud was technically unworkable for their needs, and they spent a year trying to make the square peg go into the round hole before reluctantly making that decision. Unless Apple decides to fix the issues that made it unworkable, you might as well ask for a pony...
Do you by any chance have a link to these public statements? I'd like to read more about them.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic document synchronization? Dropbox integration? Ken Case OmniOutliner for iPad 95 2012-08-13 04:47 PM
Sync OmniFocus With DropBox? [Not supported, use the free Omni Sync Server instead] Lamike OmniFocus Syncing 26 2011-11-12 06:54 PM
Dropbox support? OreoCookie Other WebDAV 3 2010-11-23 03:20 PM
Sync with BusyCal and Dropbox alexknight OmniFocus Syncing 8 2010-11-11 08:18 AM
Sync with new Dropbox API [DropBox is great, but not well-suited to OF sync.] kint OmniFocus Syncing 24 2010-08-05 01:24 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.