The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
today status - feature request Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i'd really like to see a today status option in OF. i know there are various workarounds in OF, but nothing for me beats the ability to just mark an action for today (things does it really well).

not a date, not a context, instead a dedicated status assignment.

the clarity of knowing what actions are shortlisted to be actioned today, without changing any other status setting on those actions is hugely helpful for me.

anyone else miss this feature?
 
Are you presently using the flagging feature for something else?
 
Something other than:
flagging items and using the flagged perspective

setting items due date to today (you can type tod in the date field) and using the due soon perspective
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Are you presently using the flagging feature for something else?
yes - to indicate must do's soon, or to alert my assistant of something, but not necessarily today.

today's actions may include non-urgent (and non-flagged) items, collated in an easy-to-see list which has nothing in common other than i would like to do those things today. flagging for me is broader than a "today" function, relating to importance as much as time specifically.

i don't see that it would disrupt anything in gtd or OF to have a today status feature...

Last edited by elektroglide; 2010-06-09 at 06:05 AM..
 
You could preface such actions with "today:" and type that into the search box in the toolbar to narrow the view...

To make an official feature request, use Help->Send Feedback or email OmniFocus@omnigroup.com. Forum posts don't get counted, and may not even be seen.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You could preface such actions with "today:" and type that into the search box in the toolbar to narrow the view...

To make an official feature request, use Help->Send Feedback or email OmniFocus@omnigroup.com. Forum posts don't get counted, and may not even be seen.
that would work, although it's more work than just assigning a today status.

cc things does it rather elegantly, and it's a useful feature, for me at least.

i've sent the feature request to that email you gave, thanks for the reminder.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Something other than:
flagging items and using the flagged perspective

setting items due date to today (you can type tod in the date field) and using the due soon perspective
that goes part way there, but also includes all overdue items. what i want is a discrete collection of actions i want to do today, with no other distractions...
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroglide View Post
that would work, although it's more work than just assigning a today status.
Yes, it is, but it is something you can do today -- very few feature requests get done right away, so if this workflow is important to you, you'll need to do something else (like my suggestion) in the interim.

It also wouldn't be very difficult to cobble up an Applescript that did this to the selected item(s), and you could install the script as a toolbar button, giving you one-click access.
 
This is something that could easily be achieved within OF's current structure by two additions:
1. both a menu command and toolbar button to make the Start date of all selected Actions "now"
and
2. a check box in the Perspectives pallet to show only those Actions that have a Start date that has already commenced.
The Perspectives feature of OF is one of its most powerful but I find it's effectiveness is greatly reduced because the only way to show a Perspective with only Actions that have started, ie to do "Today" (or earlier), is to filter by Grouping > Start, which is very limiting.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchit View Post
I find it's effectiveness is greatly reduced because the only way to show a Perspective with only Actions that have started, ie to do "Today" (or earlier), is to filter by Grouping > Start, which is very limiting.
Wouldn't changing the filter from "remaining" to "available" knock out those actions which have not yet started?
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feature request - Separate context and status garyo OmniFocus for iPhone 7 2011-04-28 11:22 PM
today status - feature request elektroglide OmniFocus for iPad 8 2010-08-11 07:46 AM
Feature Request: Status Reporting signal15 OmniFocus 1 for Mac 7 2010-02-10 09:54 PM
Feature request: more precise control on status filtering Jody Severson OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2008-01-15 05:59 PM
Feature request: +t to go to today David Latapie OmniPlan General 3 2007-10-27 12:38 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.