The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
multi context or tags Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I read that in the past you were planning to add multi tags and/or multi context. I'd like to be able to put more than one context in a single issue. In alternative I'd like to use tags.

This would be very helpful
 
Yes, I find I have tasks like "buy mouthwash" which should have both a "Grocery Store" context and a "Drug Store" context. As it stands now I have to look at both contexts when I'm at the grocery store or drug store so I don't miss a task.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
Yes, I find I have tasks like "buy mouthwash" which should have both a "Grocery Store" context and a "Drug Store" context. As it stands now I have to look at both contexts when I'm at the grocery store or drug store so I don't miss a task.
If you can get that at either store, you may want to just have "store" as a parent context to grocery and drug store and put it there.

Think hierarchy ;-)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
If you can get that at either store, you may want to just have "store" as a parent context to grocery and drug store and put it there.

Think hierarchy ;-)
Does this entail my having to look at two contexts every time I go to either the drug store or grocery store? I thought the point to OF and GTD was efficiency, meaning that when I'm at the grocery store I should only be looking at the grocery store context, yes?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
Yes, I find I have tasks like "buy mouthwash" which should have both a "Grocery Store" context and a "Drug Store" context. .....
Why not consider just an Errands context?

Otherwise specific to shopping, some iPhone grocery apps are able to cross-catalogue items in a way that would solve your problem.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
Why not consider just an Errands context?

Otherwise specific to shopping, some iPhone grocery apps are able to cross-catalogue items in a way that would solve your problem.
What I'm looking for is support of very specific contexts so when I go to the drug store, the drug store context has every task that I can do in the drug store and nothing else. I don't want have to look through more than one context in order to find tasks that I can take care of at the drug store. I thought that was the GTD way.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
What I'm looking for is support of very specific contexts so when I go to the drug store, the drug store context has every task that I can do in the drug store and nothing else. I don't want have to look through more than one context in order to find tasks that I can take care of at the drug store.
Again IMHO, what you may be wanting specific to shopping at (drug) stores is a grocery shopping app.

Otherwise, with regard to a desire for multiple contexts, perhaps you may be setting your focus too narrow on your contexts at the start, rather than realizing that you have a decision filter at the end too. Consider for example whether you set contexts such as "living room", "bathroom", "bed room" ... when you really are better with just "house". Why then set such a specific context as "drug store" verus "grocery store" when you might be better as "store" (or "errands"). You are then looking at ONE CONTEXT (as you desire). Granted, while standing in the drug store looking at "shopping", you will see tasks that may be unrelated to the more specific drug store location where you are. But, by comparision, is this longer list really so hard to filter through mentally, to see for example that "fish sticks" are not in the drug store?

BTW, are you aware of using location settings on tasks on the iPhone or iPad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
... I thought that was the GTD way.
As I have come to see it, The GTD Way is either a religion or a tool. The former can lead to endless travels done never-ending paths as to why this or that should instead be this or that. The latter can be a realization that sometimes, we should go looking for a hammer when we have a nail rather than trying to pound in the nail with our handy screwdriver.

--
JJW
 
Or, if OF supported more than one context for a task I would have what I'm looking for which is why I posted. All other suggestions appear to me to be a compromise.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
Or, if OF supported more than one context for a task I would have what I'm looking for ...
Certainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
... All other suggestions appear to me to be a compromise.
Undoubtably you are not alone. Having more than one context on a task would be just clutter for me.

Being able to set multiple TAGS on tasks as a way to filter them for generating activity reports is a whole different kettle of fish.

--
JJW
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working around a single context/Tags macers Applying OmniFocus 15 2013-04-03 02:20 AM
Tags Glenn_K OmniWeb Feature Requests 0 2009-11-01 03:35 AM
Tags, Aliases, Folders, Context, Project, Groups, etc.. dancingbrook OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2009-07-20 01:00 PM
Mail Tags geneos@mac.com OmniFocus Extras 1 2008-04-20 07:23 PM
Tags joelande OmniFocus 1 for Mac 6 2007-11-25 07:34 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.