The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Scripts for Integrating OmniFocus with DEVONthink 2 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Rob,

Firstly, thanks for the great scripts. In combination with the "Create OF Task" script from judismith of unofficialtechnology I have complete control over my workflow.

One thing which is a minor niggle more than anything else is the following error I'm getting when invoking the OpenProjNotesInDevon Script:

Code:
AppleScript reported the following error:
Finder got an error: Can’t get alias "Macintosh HD:Users:Hassan:Library:Application Support:OmniOutliner 3:Templates:Default.oo3template".
For now I am working around it by simply opening the project folder using your other script, then manually double clicking on the note file I have stored in DT. I'm pretty sure there is nothing interfering with the process as this is a completely fresh install of SL (just done a few hours ago) and these were the first to applications I installed.

I've done some investigation and there does not seem to exist a "Templates" folder at the path the script specifies, though I'm not sure what template to add there if I need to at all.

I also see someone had a similar error earlier, were you able to replicate it?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeijin View Post
Code:
Finder got an error: Can’t get alias "Macintosh HD:Users:Hassan:Library:Application Support:OmniOutliner 3:Templates:Default.oo3template".
I've done some investigation and there does not seem to exist a "Templates" folder at the path the script specifies, though I'm not sure what template to add there if I need to at all.
By default there will normally be a file named Default.oo3template at that location, but of course it can be deleted.

The advantage of having one is that you can choose the default layout and formatting etc of the notes created with the script.

To get it working. Choose/create a blank OO3 file which on you would like your note files to be based, and use OO3's File > Save As Template ... to save it to

Code:
HD:Users:Hassan:Library:Application Support:OmniOutliner 3:Templates:Default.oo3template
(or the equivalent path from the user directory on your system)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
By default there will normally be a file named Default.oo3template at that location, but of course it can be deleted.

The advantage of having one is that you can choose the default layout and formatting etc of the notes created with the script.

To get it working. Choose/create a blank OO3 file which on you would like your note files to be based, and use OO3's File > Save As Template ... to save it to

Code:
HD:Users:Hassan:Library:Application Support:OmniOutliner 3:Templates:Default.oo3template
(or the equivalent path from the user directory on your system)
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the advice. I have saved the template to the templates folder now upon clicking "OpenProjNotesInDevon" OmniOutliner opens and I receive the following error:

Code:
The document “Untitled 2” could not be saved as “• Recipes to Try notes.oo3”. The file doesn’t exist.
and OmniFocus then shows the following error:

Code:
OmniOutliner Professional got an error: Couldn't save document.  Check that the specified save location is writable and has sufficient space available.

Code:
The document “Untitled 2” could not be saved as “• Recipes to Try notes.oo3”. The file doesn’t exist.
Well, these scripts are, alas, posted "as is" (as draft examples for others to adapt) and only work (if at all) on the assumption of default oo3 settings and default system settings.

It sounds as if there may be a permissions issue on your system with writing to the temporary folder.

All I can really suggest is that you experiment with changing the third line of code which specifies where a temporary copy of the 003 file is saved before it is imported into Devonthink. Try to specify a folder to which you do have full read/write permissions.

Code:
property strTempFolder : (path to temporary items folder as string)
Good luck !

Quote:
Code:
Well, these scripts are, alas, posted "as is" (as draft examples for others to adapt) and only work (if at all) on the assumption of default oo3 settings and default system settings.

It sounds as if there may be a permissions issue on your system with writing to the temporary folder.

All I can really suggest is that you experiment with changing the third line of code which specifies where a temporary copy of the 003 file is saved before it is imported into Devonthink. Try to specify a folder to which you do have full read/write permissions.

Code:
property strTempFolder : (path to temporary items folder as string)
Good luck !
No problem Rob, as I say opening the Project Folder is a more than acceptable workaround for me. I will give this a try when I get a chance. Thanks again.

Quote:
Should be no problem - you will just need to experiment with adjusting the path strings.

--
Does anyone know how paths to groups within a devonthink database are entered into these scripts?

THanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggyta516 View Post
Does anyone know how paths to groups within a devonthink database are entered into these scripts?

THanks!
A dropbox issue ?

(A bit of context might help to clarify what it is that you need to know).

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-11-29 at 11:49 AM..

Quote:
A dropbox issue ?

(A bit of context might help to clarify what it is that you need to know).

--
Sorry. No. Not Dropbox but want to use the script to create group folders in my sync group of the devonthink database I am using. The script put the new folder in the root of the devonthink database, I want to be able to go further into the sync group.

Thanks!

Code:
tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	tell database 1 -- or whichever database it happens to be
		set groupSync to first record where name is "Sync"
	end tell
end tell

Quote:
Code:
tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	tell database 1 -- or whichever database it happens to be