The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Managing multiple locations Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I purchased OmniFocus while I was in Japan and now I am in Los Angeles. It's very apparent to me the majority of projects (if not all) in Japan are on hold and my focus is to get done what I *must* get done (ie. needs to be physically done here like cleaning the garage) in Los Angeles.

I have my root folders set up as goals and each goal folder has both Japan and LA projects in it. Now I don't want to see all my projects I have planned for the next 3-4 months in LA so I put all the projects I'm not focused on this week on hold.

Problem is when I put my LA projects on hold, they get "merged" in with my Japan projects and the following week, I have redistinguish the two realms.

Now my current workaround will be to create a temporary LA folder, toss all my LA projects in it, and use the "focus" feature to see my action lists for LA.

Is there anyone who is in a similar situation? How have you solved this problem?

I would love to see a way to put location meta-data and just set a Perspective to filter by city/location. Of course, this would elude to a natural iPhone integration for us globetrotters out there but I digress...I'd like to get something workable on the desktop first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarut View Post
Now my current workaround will be to create a temporary LA folder, toss all my LA projects in it, and use the "focus" feature to see my action lists for LA.
That's what I would do, perhaps with another folder for Japan projects that are definitely on hold. I wouldn't call it a workaround; it seems like an elegant solution.

If there are contexts that are physically located in Japan in your context scheme, you could place those contexts on hold too, to block any actions in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
That's what I would do, perhaps with another folder for Japan projects that are definitely on hold. I wouldn't call it a workaround; it seems like an elegant solution.
seem to be working well so far. For 10k foot planning it would be nice to have an aggregate view but I can live for now - it was an opportunity to restructure :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
If there are contexts that are physically located in Japan in your context scheme, you could place those contexts on hold too, to block any actions in them.
wow - i never knew this feature existed - put Thailand on hold too - thanks! :)