The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping notes with a project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you want to see everything you've ever entered into the OmniFocus database, the easiest way is to select "All Items" from the Perspectives menu. This resets your view bar settings, project focus, sidebar selection, and search field, giving you a complete list of everything in the database (completed or not). You can then use the Search field to find things within this list.

(Note that this doesn't include any old data you might have moved to your archive; to access your archive, select "Open Archive" from the File menu.)

OmniFocus also supports Spotlight, so you can also search for items using the magnifying glass in the top right corner of your screen (in the menu bar). Unfortunately this only searches active projects at the moment, though we're considering extending this to also search inactive projects and the inbox.

I use Notespark for keeping notes on iPhone and the web. It's like Evernote, including the online sync in real time, and without many features, but with a major option: you can share the notes and the invited colleagues can *edit* them, and you can see who edited what. More, on the iPhone you can see and edit the notes without any connection or any tricky solution like Favorites in Evernote.

In Notespark I created a tag @OF, meaning that the ideas jottet down there will became actions in OF.
When at the desktop, I copy and paste from Notespark to OF. Too bad that I can't do this on the iPhone...

Those interested in managing project files and notes might be interested in a couple of Applescripts I've described in the "Extras" section of the forum and posted at http://jhh.med.virginia.edu/main/OmniFocusScripts.

These scripts build and manage a folder hierarchy that's the same as the hierarchy in the OF sidebar, so you can click a toolbar icon to immediately open a Finder folder for a project that is selected or contains the cursor in any task or note. A second script is similar except that it opens an OmniOutliner notes file in the project folder. The idea is to closely integrate OF with the Mac file system so it's easier to work with the various files that might be associated with projects and tasks, in conjunction with working on those projects and tasks in OF.

Last edited by jharrison; 2008-12-28 at 07:34 PM..

Hello, Keeping notes with a project is very tricky. As i usualy work on my Mac I have a GTD folder call projects. It is divided in active projects, recurrent projects, Hold project and archived projects. Each project has his own name like your last name it is the same in OF. Then when i work on a project thinking stategy for example evry thing goes in this note and there is a link (drag and drop) in the note of OF. So it is very easy for me to work on the project. Of cours OF contains all the projects's task. When a task is non active i dont give it a context so it don't appears in my context list.

The trouble appears when it's a specific notes. For example imagin i work on a negociation about a building. I have sold the buiding but I have to follow all about the bank mounting such as follow a bank or a list of bank on excel to know what happen and follow it efficiently.

The best thing i found was to make a specific folder in my GTD folder call 'reference" Then i create again a new folder wich has the same name in my active project and in OF wich contains all about those spectific notes about the project.

Working on the project is then very simple and efficient.

If i work on the project itself i go on my active note from OF or directly in my active project. IF it is very specific i open the folder about the specific note on "reference".

After 6 month of test it works very well with me. Of course if I was always ouside all my notes would be save on the web on software like you spoke about.