The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

⇧⌘← / Location Bar Keyboard Access Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Two things:

One: I'm thoroughly accustomed to using ⇧⌘← to highlight text to the beginning of the line (⌘← = go to beginning of current editor line; shifting adds text selection to any cursor move). OmniWeb thinks I want to go to my Start Page when I do that, which has caused me no end of frustration while editing. In fact, it's already happened twice while drafting this message. Keyboard shortcuts are great; consistency with established editing shortcuts is better.

Two: When I open a new window or tab, it's usually because I'm about to type an address or do a quick search. To that end, a setting that keeps the cursor in the location bar when manually opening a new tab or window would be nice. As I mentioned (agreeing with another poster) in another thread, I'd really like the option to open a new blank tab or window, while still having a default start page that opens when the program first launches.

Michael

2. If you hit command+l, type in the location you want to go, then hit command+return, the url you typed will automatically open in a new tab. Not exactly what you asked for but it requires the same amount of key commands.

⌘+L, URL, ⌘+Enter instead of ⌘+T, URL, Enter. OK, I can train myself to do that. Thanks.

Now if we could just get ⌘-return to work in the search field....

(I did notice a few releases back, however, that ⌘-clicking form buttons works to open the result in a new tab/window - just as I requested it do after I got used to it in IE way back when. Thanks!)

Last edited by Bob Williams; 2006-07-13 at 11:25 PM..

You can always use the URL bar and type in your search. For example:
google omniweb
then hit command+return.

And indeed, I often do just that. When I want to use my default engine, however, it's quicker and less error-prone to use the search field - and that *is* the whole point of having the search field, after all :-).

Nonetheless, the keyword approach is a viable workaround until Omni fixes what presumably is an oversight. (And yes, I have still reported it/requested it - at least, I think I have....)

I think the GUI to it just makes it more user-friendly. I find it slower and not any less error prone, so I remove it.

But that's the great thing about apps being customizable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I think the GUI to it just makes it more user-friendly. I find it slower and not any less error prone, so I remove it.
Really? That's interesting. I pound cmd-opt-F, type the search string, and hit return. With a keyword, you have to, well, type the keyword, so it becomes cmd-L, type keyword, type search string, and hit return. It's b/c of the need to type the keyword that I say it's slower and more error-prone.

Admittedly, I tend to use somewhat longer keywords, with the shortest being three characters, I think. Thus, there's more chance for me to fumble-finger it than when you just use one or two characters. This is a much bigger problem on my PB with its keyboard, as opposed to the wonderful Kinesis keyboard I have on my desktop - I rarely fumble anything on that.

I'll also admit that I've come >this< close to turning off the search field a number of times. I often want to see the entire URL, and that can be a tedious challenge with very long URLs given a location bar that is already short but even shorter with the search bar. (I really, really miss being able to get an open URL dialog that has a big, multi-line text field for the URL - and which shows the current page's URL by default. This is one of those great, unsung features that just seems to have gone away in modern browsers because all the powers that be think a simple, short URL field is good enough and that a full-blown text field is overblown redundancy.)

Quote:
But that's the great thing about apps being customizable.
Indeed!

Maybe I just never figured it out, but is there a way to choose where you're going to search without having to use the mouse? So for me it's been command+option+F, use mouse to select where I want to search, type in string, hit return. I also use short search strings for all my custom stuff. So google images, for example, is "gi" - so I'm having to type an extra three characters than I would in the search field, but that's faster than using the mouse.

Plus I don't like to have to tab through the search field on my way to somewhere else.

If you go to View > Toolbars > Location Bar it will put the URL bar on its own line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbklein
Hi,

Two things:

One: I'm thoroughly accustomed to using ⇧⌘← to highlight text to the beginning of the line (⌘← = go to beginning of current editor line; shifting adds text selection to any cursor move). OmniWeb thinks I want to go to my Start Page when I do that, which has caused me no end of frustration while editing. In fact, it's already happened twice while drafting this message. Keyboard shortcuts are great; consistency with established editing shortcuts is better.

Two: When I open a new window or tab, it's usually because I'm about to type an address or do a quick search. To that end, a setting that keeps the cursor in the location bar when manually opening a new tab or window would be nice. As I mentioned (agreeing with another poster) in another thread, I'd really like the option to open a new blank tab or window, while still having a default start page that opens when the program first launches.

Michael

Seconded. I'm going nuts trying to teach myself that ⇧⌘← means "homepage"