The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cannot set-up Clip-O-Tron on 10.6. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
You should see the OmniFocus entry under System Preference - Keyboard Shortcuts - OmniFocus: Send to Inbox.

Is the checkbox checked? What shortcut do you see under the entry? You could enter the shortcut directly there to see if that sticks.

I had the same issue.

The solution for me was to follow the instructions here combined with running Repair Disk Permissions with the Disk Utility. After running the clipping command from the services menu in the app once, the shortcut for clippings and recording of the shortcut is back to normal.

You might also want to rebuild the services menu as described here.

I believe I've solved the problem. What you need to do is:

1. Go into System Preferences - Keyboard - Keyboard Shortcuts - Services.

2. Scroll down and Find the OmniFocus: Send to Inbox entry.

3. *Uncheck* the box beside the entry.

4. Close System Preferences.

5. Open OmniFocus and go to Preferences - Clipping.

6. Enter the shortcut you prefer (ctrl + shift + comma worked for me).

My guess is that there is a bug preventing you from changing (or creating) a shortcut in OmniFocus while the box is checked in System Preferences.

I was able to change my shortcut from command-F6 to command-F5 and back again without un-checking that box in system prefs. Also discovered that the "activate Voice Over" service is enabled by default and set to command-F5 in the process. Gave myself a bit of a scare with that one. :-)

I do suspect that something is up here on the OS X side of things, but have never been able to nail down what's going on. Any help in doing so is greatly appreciated. :-)

Hey guys,

I've had similar problems and found a (somewhat strange) solution. After reading the sticky on this issue, I went back to mail again and triggered the clipping from the services menu. This worked. Then I tried it from the the keyboard shortcut I created. Now it works all the time. Sort of. If I close Mail and re-open, it doesn't work again until I trigger it via the services menu first. Then it starts working once again.

Not a complete solution but works for the time-being.

I can confirm that this is true for me as well. I couldn’t get my clipping shortcut to trigger the quick input window in mail. Now as long as I trigger it first via the services menu, it will work fine until quitting mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyoung5 View Post
I can confirm that this is true for me as well. I couldn’t get my clipping shortcut to trigger the quick input window in mail. Now as long as I trigger it first via the services menu, it will work fine until quitting mail.
How do you "trigger it from the services menu"?

I've found the same thing that the clipping shortcut does not work at all when Mail is first loaded and I am viewing the Message Viewer (the main Mail window).

I have 2 workarounds, either:
1) Click "Help" in the Mail menu (the standard menu at the top of OS X), then go back to the Message Viewer.
or
2) Open an email in it's own window, then go back to the Message Viewer.

Oh yes, before finding my workaround I followed the instructions from jaredskarma, and repaired my disk permissions as andersmjos suggested. But now that I've found the workaround, I'm not sure if either of those steps were needed.

Omnigroup:
This was reported 5 months ago, and you're often pushing out updates.
When are you hoping to fix this?

I just wasted an hour or two on this.
And the only reason I use your tools is to be more productive.
Oh, the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredskarma View Post
I believe I've solved the problem. What you need to do is:

1. Go into System Preferences - Keyboard - Keyboard Shortcuts - Services.

2. Scroll down and Find the OmniFocus: Send to Inbox entry.

3. *Uncheck* the box beside the entry.

4. Close System Preferences.

5. Open OmniFocus and go to Preferences - Clipping.

6. Enter the shortcut you prefer (ctrl + shift + comma worked for me).

My guess is that there is a bug preventing you from changing (or creating) a shortcut in OmniFocus while the box is checked in System Preferences.
Excellent! Thank you - this worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daev View Post
How do you "trigger it from the services menu"?
Select some text, then choose:
<Name of Application> -> Services -> OmniFocus: Send to Inbox...
from the menu bar. The keyboard shortcut should now work in this application until it's quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daev View Post
Omnigroup:
This was reported 5 months ago, and you're often pushing out updates.
When are you hoping to fix this?
I'm afraid this isn't something we can fix directly. Mac OS X is waiting until the Services menu is visible to actually make the association between the keyboard shortcut and our service.

Until that happens, the keyboard message just isn't being sent to our code. We've communicated the issue to Apple and are hopeful that they'll change this in a future update to 10.6...

Last edited by Brian; 2010-04-27 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: "work in Mail" -> "work in this application"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Select some text, then choose:
<Name of Application> -> Services -> OmniFocus: Send to Inbox...
from the menu bar. The keyboard shortcut should now work in this application until it's quit.
Amazing, ha. I've never ever ever used that menu in any Mac program ever. And I've been on Macs for about 8 years. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm afraid this isn't something we can fix directly. Mac OS X is waiting until the Services menu is visible to actually make the association between the keyboard shortcut and our service.

Until that happens, the keyboard message just isn't being sent to our code. We've communicated the issue to Apple and are hopeful that they'll change this in a future update to 10.6...
I hope so. It's frustrating to hear it's out of your control.

Thanks again for your help.