The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to: Convert Project to Folder? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know how I can easily convert a project to a folder?

I decided my Shopping tasks belong in a folder of their own, instead of in my "Liz the Housewife" folder. [My folders are labeled by my "job", so I have Liz the Housewife, Freecycle Moderator, Cartesian Bear, Kidstuff ...]

I can and have moved my Shopping project to the top level, but I really do want to convert it into a folder. I know I can create a new folder and move things in, but I would like a Convert to Folder feature.

--Liz

Select what you want inside the folder and from the gear menu at the bottom of the sidebar choose "group in new folder". Does that help you?

Not quite.

Group in new folder takes my project and puts it inside a new folder.

What I want is to move everything up a level in the hierarchy: the Project becomes a folder, everything one level in becomes a Project, 2 levels in are tasks and things further in become subtasks or tasks.

I see the use of Group to combine several Projects in one folder; this is not what I'm doing. I'm correcting a mistake, where I should have created a folder in the first place, for just one project.

[And I realize I could have brute forced this in far less time than it takes to type about it, but that's why I'm in the alpha -- to ask these questions.]

--Liz

noticed this in trawling the Omnifocus frums for tidbits on what works. I suppose it's obvious but "brute force" might have meant typing in those tasks again whereas in fact when I had the same problem it was a cinch.

In planning mode I just created folders with exactly the same names as the projects and then drag 'n dropped the contents of the projects into the corresponding new folders. Using the context menu in the LHS pane I then just 'delete'ed the empty projects. For a small number of projects, "hoisting' them in this way is easy.

...Ian.

Liz, don't know if this is what you want:

* select the items in the project
* press command-left-bracket (Structure > Outdent)
* choose Group in New Folder (gear menu)

You know, this thread is so old, I forget how I solved the issue -- but my Shopping is now a folder, so I did solve it somehow.

Thanks for thinking of it, though.

--Liz