The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Where to define personal variables? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everybody,

one question:

I would like to create a new variable - like:

<%myvariable="hello world"%>

where can I find the field to define the the variable etc.?

Regards Hans

Sorry, but I can't find the answer in your statement.

Hans, I suspect that the post above yours is actually from some sort of bot, not an actual person. I'll do a bit more research; if the post goes away, that's why.

I'm really sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. If you send an email to the support ninjas, though, you're guaranteed an answer from someone who does. (We collectively browse the forums as we're able, but we can't guarantee a response to every thread.)

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

In OmniGraffle Professional, you can use the custom data key value pairs to create custom variables. So, if you have a custom data key "foo" whose value is "bar", then putting in the variable "<%UserData foo%>" will result in "bar" appearing in that part of the text.

Hope that helps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
In OmniGraffle Professional, you can use the custom data key value pairs to create custom variables. So, if you have a custom data key "foo" whose value is "bar", then putting in the variable "<%UserData foo%>" will result in "bar" appearing in that part of the text.

Hope that helps,
Thank you for your answer. But my problem is: where is the place / the field to define this variable?

I understand:

1) there is a field to define a variable, but I don't now the field.
2) inside the "work space" I insert a Textfield with this variable, for example <%foo%>.

If I understand something wrong, than sorry for that.

You define the variable in the Notes & Data Inspector (this is only in OmniGraffle Professional, so if you're running the standard version of OmniGraffle it's not present).

The Notes Inspector is part of the Properties inspector group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
You define the variable in the Notes & Data Inspector (this is only in OmniGraffle Professional, so if you're running the standard version of OmniGraffle it's not present).

The Notes Inspector is part of the Properties inspector group.
At first, I have the Professional Version.

Ok, thank you for your description. I have tested your tip - see screenshot. I am sure, there is something wrong, what I have done. It doesn't work.

I am feeling sorry to ask you again.

You need to put UserData in front of foo:

<%UserData foo%>

Great discussion. This solved my problem. NOW, it would be nice if there was an document object model (DOM) behind the scenes so that we could do something like "Document.version" to get the current document's version number and the like. This would be SO very useful to all us power users out here.

Yes! great! Now I can do things here I was doing in Vectorworks!
One other question, and I think this is what cwingrav was asking about, how can I have a global value so I can have info on all the canvas's from one area? Like I currently use page name, creation date, etc.