The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's an Assigned Date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
Since "completion date" is an alternative to "assigned date", I don't see how someone would easily confuse the two.
The confusion is not necessarily between those two options, but rather general confusion about the semantics and behavior because of so many date types (start, due, completion, assigned, [scheduled]). In fact, I'm still not sure I completely understand the repeat behavior.

Quote:
Generally a user wouldn't set an action or project to repeat after completing it,
And yet the UI allows it. Potential for confusion perhaps? Not only that, but didn't you just say that you do precisely that - i.e. have an action repeat after completing it? You said...

Quote:
Once I complete a review, the next review appears with the new start date...
So how exactly does "repeat after completion" differ from "repeat from completion"? I am genuinely still unclear about this.

Quote:
though I can imagine exceptions.
I certainly won't pretend to know all the ways a user might exploit certain features. All I know is that it's not entirely clear to me, after looking at the Repeat and Dates inspectors, exactly what behavior to expect from a given combination of UI settings and field values. To put it bluntly, the repeat behavior is not at all intuitive to me.

-Steve

Quote:
Generally a user wouldn't set an action or project to repeat after completing it, though I can imagine exceptions.
Sure they would.

* Take in dry cleaning. Repeat one week after completion.

* Backup database. Repeat three days after completion.

* Clean bedroom. Repeat every two weeks after completion.

* Get drunk with mates. Repeat a month after completion.

I could probably go on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Sure they would.

* Take in dry cleaning. Repeat one week after completion.
Ah, ambiguity. My point was that I, at least, know when I create an action whether it is going to be a repeating action or not. When I create my "Take in dry cleaning" action, I'll also set it to repeat if I think it will be a routine action. I am less likely to do it, mark it complete, and *then* decide, "Oh, wait, that really should be a repeating action, so let me set it up to repeat." That's all.

Of course, events in OF only repeat after you have completed them. My point (to drive it home!) was that the *decision* about whether it should be a repeating event is usually, for me at least, made before completing it for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotster View Post
And yet the UI allows it. Potential for confusion perhaps? Not only that, but didn't you just say that you do precisely that - i.e. have an action repeat after completing it?
Unfortunately work isn't leaving me time for a long conversation in the forums, but as I said in my reply to Jason, I expressed myself ambiguously. When I wrote, "Generally a user wouldn't set an action or project to repeat after completing it," I meant the prepositional phrase "after completing it" to modify "set," not "repeat."