The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle 5.1 pro can not save to network share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Several users in the company I work for are trying out OmniGraffle 5.1 pro and have run into an issue where they can not save any files from the OmniGraffle to the network shares they have access to save too.

The OmniGraffle app complains about not being able to save the file after about 30 seconds of the pinwheel beach ball showing. However if they save the file to their desktop them move it over it works but is an unacceptable solution.

From my research it looks like OmniGraffle is trying to delete temp folders from the hidden .TemporaryItems folder on the share and is successful (verified by the Windows 2003 audit logs). but the application complains it can't save the file.

Except for the .Trash and .TemporaryItems folders the users have read only in root of the share and full permissions in all subfolders. I verifed that Office word/excel can save to the same location (including .TemporaryItems) without an issue.

Code:
OSX Console output:
12/4/08 2:49:16 PM kernel smbfs_vnop_link: warning: pid 306(OmniGraffle Prof) hardlink(Thumbnail.tiff) 
12/4/08 2:49:16 PM kernel smbfs_vnop_link: warning: pid 306(OmniGraffle Prof) hardlink(Preview.pdf) 
12/4/08 2:49:16 PM kernel smbfs_vnop_link: warning: pid 306(OmniGraffle Prof) hardlink(image5.jpg) 
12/4/08 2:49:16 PM kernel smbfs_vnop_link: warning: pid 306(OmniGraffle Prof) hardlink(image3.eps) 
12/4/08 2:49:16 PM kernel smbfs_vnop_link: warning: pid 306(OmniGraffle Prof) hardlink(data.plist) 
12/4/08 2:49:19 PM /Applications/OmniGraffle Professional 5.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniGraffle Professional[306] Possible unresolved transaction race -104/(.TemporaryItems/folders.862688107/TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved By OmniGraffle Pro 3),(null)) 
12/4/08 2:49:19 PM OmniGraffle Professional[306] The temporary directory at "/Volumes/Clients/.TemporaryItems/folders.862688107/TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved By OmniGraffle Pro 3)" could not be deleted.

More likely OmniGraffle is attempting to save the files as file packages, which whatever the network share is running doesn't understand so well.

You can force Graffle to save as a flat, monolithic file format in the Document Inspector, which I'd recommend as a workflow in these cases.

Quote:
More likely OmniGraffle is attempting to save the files as file packages
There are not restrictions on types of files that can be saved as well as the user has full access to these folders it is attempting to save to.

I tested this on a Windows XP and Linux Samba server and both also failed to properly save the files to shares where the user have complete access.

I tried this too, using a Samba share on an XP box kicking around the house. I was able to save simple files (say, a blank canvas with a rectangle), but more complex ones (a copy of the Mind Map stencil) got an error. Copying the stencil into the simple file made it no longer work. I'll mail a copy of the file to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com as it seems to be too large to attach to this posting. Seems like it ought to be easy enough to reproduce!
Attached Files
File Type: zip simple test works.zip (16.1 KB, 613 views)

File packages are a feature of Mac OS X - it's a folder that the OS knows to show to the user as if it were a flat file. This feature of the OS is what's causing the windows server to react badly. (It's not a permissions issue, in other words.)

I don't remember the exact details of what causes this - I couldn't tell you if it's the samba implementation in OS X or if it's a problem on the windows side.

My understanding is that OmniGraffle is making a regular cocoa "save this file" call; when that call happens to point at an XP and/or Samba share, the "this file is a package" bit gets mangled because XP has no idea what a file package is.

We added the "save this document as a flat file" preference in order to work around the problem; we weren't going to deny Mac OS X folks the feature because windows servers threw an error.

Last edited by Brian; 2008-12-05 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: clarify that it's not a permissions issue causing the problem

As I commented to the ninja who fielded the email portion of my report, you could really do a bit more work to forestall support calls on this issue. The error message could suggest that this was a possible issue, and so could the online documentation (which at least mentions the flat file option, but effectively dismisses it as useful only to those who know what it does!) I know I've seen this come up on the forums more than once, and I only follow OmniGraffle threads with a "hey, I oughta learn something about this program one of these days" attention level.

What is the penalty for saving the file in a non-package form? Is it like Photoshop flattens a file all the layers are lost?

I suspect the only penalty is performance. You can rewrite individual parts of a package, but you'd have to rewrite the entire flattened file. For a big file, with lots of objects, maybe writing to a slow server, you might notice the difference.

Well, another difference is that you can't show the package contents and grab e.g. an individual image out of the file, but that is an esoteric requirement that you are rarely - if ever - going to need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Well, another difference is that you can't show the package contents and grab e.g. an individual image out of the file, but that is an esoteric requirement that you are rarely - if ever - going to need.
Good point. You could work around that issue by opening the file, saving it again as a package (to a disk that supported doing so) and then pulling out the image. The key is that document information isn't lost when it is saved as a flat file; it is not the same notion as Photoshop's "flattening" which does irretrievably throw away information.