The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus URL Support -- Community Feedback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dragging an action to the Safari address bar does nothing for me - shouldn't it paste the url? [edit: and copying and pasting puts the action text there, not the URL]

I really don't get the point of this feature at all.

I would much rather you implemented the ability to use a remote file for omnifocus, by a factor of 1000 or so.

Or maybe you can explain further existing use cases, and I will get it...

The point of the feature is to allow you to drag an item to another application (say, your choice of project-keeper applications), and have a way to get back to that particular item with a click.

I don't like that the link opens a new window rather than displaying in the front-most window.

I know: half the people love this feature... heck, I'm sure half the time *I* want this feature....

This is great, and even better than something I asked for here:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4968

Additions:
o Make all the events created in iCal include the URL so that you can navigate back to omnifocus. ie. omnifocus:///task/j6a_IXfVPs1 in the URL field of the calendar item

o Introduce another scheme, mail://.., that lets me point to mail items from within omnifocus messages. I find most of my work is generated from mail messages. After I do the work I need to reply to those emails. Which means I have to find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtumi View Post
I really don't get the point of this feature at all.

I would much rather you implemented the ability to use a remote file for omnifocus, by a factor of 1000 or so.

Or maybe you can explain further existing use cases, and I will get it...
Boy, I really agree with mtumi. You guys are wonderful, and we love you; but please keep your eye on the ball. One of the top priorities for OF should be enabling remote access to our data. I want to access my actions from my iPhone; from my laptop on the road; I want my assistant to be able to see and add actions from her computer. The Web Server function is a great start -- can't you get that working first?

I totally agree here - remote access is top priority. I had severe trouble using my iDisk.

This is my first feedback post. Apologies if I botch this somehow.

I have noticed problems with URLs that don't contain normal english characters. For example, the main page for Japanese wikipedia is:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/メインページ

but that isn't linked right in OmniFocus.

It gets broken right after wiki/. Fixing this problem is more important to me if you decide build links based on task names. I am sure Japanese users would notice this.

Seems to me that most of the best use cases for this have to do with automated actions rather than dragging and dropping. I'd like to be able to receive an email, quickly create an action from it (hopefully using a shortcut key through Mail Act-On a la Nik's Mail to kGTD script, or through MailTags' "New To Do" button, or a similar mechanism), and easily be able to jump back and fourth between the Action in OF to the iCal to-do and the email in Mail.

I'm not sure if you'd need a new protocol for this, or if you can just add functionality to the existing one, but it would also be nice to be able to click a url to add an action to OF. I picture reading an article on 43 Folders or Lifehacker or wherever and seeing an "Add this action to OmniFocus" link at the bottom. Click it and a new action would be in my inbox. Would also be nice to be able to email an action to a co-worker either as a link in the email, or as an attachment. Although I suppose if the co-worker has OF and syncs with iCal I could just use iCal's "Mail To Do".

Quote:
Add this action to OmniFocus
I really like that idea.